Saturday, October 14, 2006

Just Another Soccer Mom


This is my 250th post. I doubt there is a reader anywhere who has read all of them. Or would ever care to reread any of them. I certainly haven't, so I have no perspective on whether this blog has been a good thing at all -- a question that I'll return to in a moment.

This is the 195th day in this little blog's life. So, we are averaging about 1.3 posts per day. I am not sure what kind of word count lives here, but I'm guessing 175,000, more than enough to qualify as a book. But few of these words qualify for my unfulfilled book contract, a biography of Jann Wenner. I don't feel like getting into that.

I do get emails, as well as comments, about my writing. Here is one I got last night: (your blog is)...self-serving, maudlin, self-pitying and plain dishonest -- but that's another story... why don't you just keep a private journal instead of
telling the world all your problems????)
.

Besides hurting my feelings (no, I do not have skin as thick as a whale's), this message made me once again wonder whether I should be doing this. It all started out with my broken heart. I did not know what to do. Blogging seemed to help. Some friends and many strangers read what I wrote and contacted me, saying that they, too, had experienced similar feelings, and that my writings were helpful to them.

In addition, I made some new friends through my blog. But tonight, I am feeling paranoid, as if this whole venture has been a bad idea. I don't know what to do now. I have to write; I know that much. I want to have an audience, because I am not an amateur. Any feedback, no matter how brief, matters enormously to me. I could make this blog private, as my critic suggested.

If you are reading this and have a personal opinion, please post an anonymous comment below. (Anyone who asks me can receive a password to keep reading my blog if I take this private.)

***

My odometer reports I logged 25 hard miles today, criss-crossing town to attend soccer games. My own two players share a number -- 16 -- which we all realized today.

This is a big day in sports for the Weir family, not so much in terms of what happened on the soccer fields, but what we all know happened on the baseball and football fields. The Detroit Tigers won the American League pennant! Cal won its football game. Michigan is also ahead in its game at halftime.

***

One common feature of Saturday nights for me is that I am almost always spend them home alone. This is a "date night," and since I almost never have "dates," most Saturday nights are spent here alone, watching some TV, reading, blogging, and cooking leftovers into something vaguely edible.

Despite attempts to change, I realize I simply do not know how to make a plan for Saturday nights. It must be a skill only someone who has never been married knows.

Not a problem. I am following my college team's football game online. I am exchanging emails with friends and writing this blog. Soon, I'll cook myself dinner.

Life is good. I just hope I have not been "self-serving, maudlin, self-pitying and plain dishonest" here tonight. If so, I trust someone will tell me that.

-30-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, David. Your writing is not self-serving, maudlin, self-pitying nor at all dishonest. There's only one time that I've objected to a direction you took and that was when you surveyed our opinions multiple times in order to get confirmation that your direction with your ex-girlfriend was correct. And I believe I spoke up about that through a comment. If someone felt as you described, then they simply feel that way. I have found over time that for some people, discussion such as yours (I feel you are dialoging with yourself, with us, with everyone you write about), to face the realities you do, it is depressing. Seriousness equates wtih depression -- and it is painful for them to dwell for long on analysis or review of life. They simply can't do it. I'm sure you've met folks like that. Now I don't know if the person who made the comments is like this, but I'll bet they're close. I say keep writing exactly as you have been. Don't doubt what you're doing here for a minute. Oh, some postings are more to the point and direct than others, but on the whole, they are wonderful. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I just posted a long reply to your question, but I'm not sure if it posted. The gist was that I disagree with the person who said what they said about your writing and for you to keep posting everyday.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog every day. Your honest voice reminds me to be honest with my own feelings. Arigato and please keep up.