Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween, My Grandsons



I decided to skip this particular holiday, mainly because I am exhausted from a challenging week at work. But I do have some photos of my two little grandsons, up in Portland, to share.



The littlest among us are our future. They will move into the world we leave them, both in trivial ways (like dressing up and collecting candy) and in profound ways.



Like most grandparents, my love for my (so far) two grandsons is unconditional. If I live long enough, I hope and expect that they will challenge my assumptions, and help educate me as to how they view the world.

I know this much. With such a short time left, compared to what they deserve to expect, I will listen to James and Luca, once they develop political opinions, with a special attentiveness.

Every time we vote, as is our right, we more or less vote what we believe to be our self interest. But, as an old man, I also hope to cast my remaining votes on behalf of my grandchildren.

(My children will vote according to their own views.)

Each generation has an obligation to the future. At my age, I no longer much care about my own needs. I'll be fine. More importantly, I will be long gone before the consequences of my votes are felt. The people I cast votes on behalf of do not yet have a voice. They are in these photos, many years away from when they first enter a voting booth.

-30-

No comments: