Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Long Distance Blogger



It looks like we're now within a half dozen posts of last year's total, with a month to go. I briefly considered closing this unprofitable blog when we reached the 1,000-post total, but I'm glad I didn't.

Although the topics and tone here vary considerably from day to day, the times that this blog means the most to me are when I am going through yet another transition (or two or three of them simultaneously.)

That's when I have a lot of time alone, which means time to think and time to write.



However, thanks to a long holiday weekend, I'm only alone after dark. The kids and I have spent most of the daylight hours the past three days together, which has provided my nourishment.

Part of the best parenting moments come, for me, when I get a little one-on-one time. My 12 year old and I took a nice walk yesterday; he told me lots of his thoughts about the way he sees the world these days. Tonight, he played "The Entertainer" on the piano for me, and then pulled out one of his favorite books. It was a book of explanations and showed me some of his favorite pages, which invariably imparted obscure knowledge about random phenomena.

What intrigued me was his deft literary criticism of the choices the authors made to explain issues such as the distance between planets in the universe. "It's fine they use metaphors to break it down," he told me. "But some of these metaphors simply don't hold up. They needed to find better metaphors, in my opinion."

***

My ten year old and I have a habit of taking afternoon walks around our neighborhood. In the Mission, a large percentage of buildings have murals and paintings, some authorized, some not, on their sides.

She found her favorite little bear and instantly struck a pose, "holding" it.

-30-

No comments: