Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Small People, Big Trees, Time Stands Still



Another good way to get some perspective on the irritations and stresses of daily life is to visit a redwood grove. With time sped up (schools starts, vacations end, people go back to their offices, everyone finally gets back to business) it's my habit to slow time down.



There's almost no place on slower time than a redwood forest. These trees live much longer than we do. You could come and go every day for years and never see anything change.



Of course the trees grow, but they are already so enormous, we cannot see to their tops. Staring upwards reminds me of how my grandsons look up at me; their heads craned way back, so much so you're afraid they may flop over backwards.



Were like redwood trees to the tiny tots, of course.



Meanwhile my two redwood-tree-like boys and my daughter closed out Labor Day Weekend in the woods and fields. The buys secured a hilltop from any potential invaders by using new clear plastic BB pistols, without any BB's. Their sister served as a scout.



We also play this game whenever we visit a hotel with a pool. I throw in a quarter; they dive to retrieve it.

Transition times demand rituals, I think. We like to go away to the same hotel, visit a set of favorite restaurants, and spend most of our days out in the sun. Everybody slows down, just for an instant, before we drive back into our urban reality.

-30-

No comments: