Thursday, September 10, 2009

Part of the Team



Best part of working for myself is I can spend more time with my kids. My 15-year-old is adapting well to high school, and after today's game, his soccer team is 2-0.

(If you click on the above photo, you'll easily pick his shaggy red hair out from the crowd, as everyone else has cropped black hair. Yep, he wears #2.)




They haven't been scored on yet, and that reflects well on the defense. He played all 90 minutes today as right defender; it looks like the coach has decided he is the man for that job, for now.



It was a lovely day and it's a very hot night in San Francisco. I made my athlete a steak to celebrate his recent birthday, his work in school and on the pitch, and my overall admiration and love for him.

Just the two of us. He told me how much he likes being in an environment with lots of people different from him. He is one of very few white kids in his class, and he said that suits him. He's working hard in class and doing well so far.

A nice evening, for a father and a son, and a simple reminder that it really doesn't get any better than this. I'm blessed.

-30-

No comments: