Sunday, January 03, 2010

The Elusive Hunt



There's not all that much you can say to a teenager about the journey he is on that will get through right away, but using your own life as an example -- both positive and negative -- will probably trump any lectures.

In that regard, I can't remember enough of my own teen years to be useful, but I have both succeeded and F***ed up my adult life so royally that there is plenty of ammunition for us both to draw upon.

Then again, getting well enough to do the simplest of fatherly tasks -- playing frisbee in the park -- is a new experience for me. Sometimes he tracks down my throws, sometimes they soar beyond his reach.

Either way, I know he's happy I'm "back."

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

I loved the ending- "Either way, I know he is happy I'm 'back'"--a short sentence, but one which carried simple joy.

Sometimes for today- all we can be is happy for what we have- and we leave for tomorrow the rest of what needs to be attended to.

http://feeble-fingers.blogspot.com/2009/12/x.html