Saturday, January 01, 2011

The Reasons Why

There's no reason to prolong a decision once you know it's the right thing to do. Over the past 24 hours, I have come to understand why this blog has to continue. I did suspend it at midnight, just as I had intended to do, but by this morning I knew that I had more to say.

This blog is and always has been primarily about hope. There has been a bunch of adversity to work through and I won't pretend I'm at my best right now. But, as a writer, I hold myself accountable for the effects my words have on others.

It isn't good enough to just write with emotional honesty; sometimes discretion is required, because one person's pain may represent another person's burden.

Most of us want to see those we have cared  for thrive in the future, even after they disappear from our immediate lives. I do.

So this blog continues; I'll continue to work through whatever subjects present themselves. Thank you to those who have encouraged me in this project. Thank you to everyone who reads it.

It's the first day of a new decade. We have the opportunity to reinvent ourselves once more. Some of us need to reinvent ourselves because the status quo is not a sustainable option.

The other day, walking along a mountain path, I came upon this little tree establishing itself in the dirt at the edge of the path.

I looked at it. I photographed it. And I thought if that little thing has the fortitude to push itself up and into view as if to say, "Look, I'm here," then I should too.

-30-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you plan to continue the blog. Happy New Year! Love, Carole