Saturday, January 01, 2011

First Six Books This Year

I am reading these as the year gets underway:

Descartes' Error (Damasio)  This book corrects the science behind the notion that rationality is free of emotion. In fact, emotions are as deeply embedded in our brain centers for making decisions as is our sense of logical reasoning.

How I Killed Pluto (M. Brown) My son gave me this one, by the astronomer who discovered the tenth "planet," and then downgraded both it and the 9th to something less than a planet.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Larsson) I normally seem to avoid best-sellers, but this one I will read to get a better feel for plot through character.

The Lost Symbol (D. Brown) Ditto, but especially for the plot. This book broke every record for digital downloads for eBooks.

Kafka on the Shore (Murakami) The first of two I will re-read, mainly because he is the master, and I can never get enough of his wisdom.

Norwegian Wood (Murakami) This one is now released as a film that will make it to our shores eventually. I want to re-read the book before going to see the film.

***

On thing I want to do with this blog in this new year is to write more about ideas, especially those ideas that enter our culture through books. And with every book I am trying to imporve as a writer myself.

We learn a lot from each other. Some writers are great with dialogue, others with character, still others with plot, and some transcend categories and are just plain good at everything. As I transition some of my writing to fiction this year, I am in a serious student mode. Whatever these writers have to teach, I want to learn.

No doubt I'll be sharing insights in the coming weeks from these six. By then, another pile of books will await me.

Happy reading to you in 2011!

-30-

No comments: