Sunday, February 27, 2011

Just Another Sunday



The kids and I have a few little family traditions, one of which is watching the Oscars together. Ever since he was little, Dylan has had a particular fascination with films, and now he's 14, he has a fine eye for what it takes to make a good one.

He (and all of us) were rooting for Colin Firth and The King's Speech, and we weren't disappointed, in the end. I'm not someone who stays informed about every in and out of Hollywood; never have been.

But during my own decade or so working there, commuting from up here, I did get a secondary education in film-making. I wrote or co-wrote screenplays and stories and proposals and pitches, and met lots of powerful producers and studio executives.

Had I been more drawn to the realm of film exclusively, as opposed to writing generally, I might have reoriented my career to writing for film. But there were aspects of that work, from a writing perspective, particularly dialogue, that I felt I would not be likely to master, so I eventually let it go to concentrate on other work, like magazine features, books, newspaper editorials, and eventually web-based writing, including blogs.

When I was an active member of the (Screen) Writers Guild of America, I had a vote at the Academy Awards, but that was then, and now is now. For years, I've been only a passive member of the audience, just like everyone else, and probably not the most observant consumer at that.

But I did recognize that Firth's performance in this film, as well as his work in last year's A Single Man, for which he also received a nomination for best actor, as among the best work any actor can do.

This award will stand the test of time.

***

Earlier today, the guy who always is back on defense got to do something special in his futsol game. (Futsol is a type of indoor soccer, a winter sport.) In the second photo above (click on it) he is the player in black crouched the furthest from goal on the far left.

His teammate is about to pass the ball in from the corner. When he did, Aidan got it and took a shot. The game situation was this: His team was behind 2-3 in the second half of a rematch against a team they lost to by one goal in the first game of this season.

It wasn't a grudge match, exactly, but it was payback time. He took a shot from the left side, from pretty far out, but the opposing goalkeeper was able to deflect it back.

The ball came right back to Aidan and this time he curled a line drive into the corner of the net for his first goal of the season. That tied the score and his team went on to win by a goal scored by a teammate with one second left in the game.

***

Homework, homework, homework.

Julia's confidence in her ability to do math problems has reached a point that she rarely needs my help anymore. Tonight, showing iron discipline for a 12-year-old who wanted to be watching the show, she worked and worked until all of her assignments were done.

She got to see the last four awards -- best actress, best director, best actor, best film.

A good ending to a good day.

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

I'm sure the goalie was shocked to see the ball make a come back- AND make it in the net! I can just hear the roars "GOAL"!!!!! :) Congrats to your son and his team.

As for Colin Firth- ever since I saw him on the original (LONG-8 hour?) Pride and Prejudice, I've known he was one of those 'stand alone' actors. How did I know? Because any subsequent film I saw him in- I did not see him as "Mr. Darcy"- but as whatever role he was playing...this is the sign of a true actor!

Bravo for your girl being so disciplined with her studies.