Thursday, March 03, 2011

Sweet Things

Halfway down the peninsula I noticed the warning light on my car's dashboard -- it was an indication that engine trouble might be imminent.

I pulled off into some suburban wasteland or another, maybe Millbrae, who can tell one of those places from the other, and then circled back to the city and my mechanic's shop.

That led to the meeting that was supposed to have happened in person taking place in Skype instead. I had almost forgotten about Skype; and hadn't used it in over a year. Up on my screen popped my most recent "chats," from January 2010, as if they had happened yesterday.

It was another disconcerting moment courtesy of modern technology. people used to cradle old love letters or photos when they wanted to revisit the past. Nowadays, it's likely to jump up and bite you when you least expect it.

Whatever. I shook it off.

In the middle of my Skype meeting, the mechanic called with good news -- all that was wrong was a "leaky" gas cap, another defect I never knew a car could have. Only $84.51 when I'd prepared myself for far worse.

Rains, cold, sun, warmth, clouds, clear skies -- who knows what the weather will be around here any more; certainly not the people who predict it. I walked back to the mechanic's without a jacket, and stopped by a Mexican market, where I treated myself to some dulces, certainly a sign of my relief that the car was fixed and I could return to busily rushing here and there.

And also a sign that I felt like doing something nice for myself, not a state I've been in for quite a while.

Yes, my mood is that appropriate for spring, a new season with new possibilities. I'm excited. I'm happy. I'm looking forward.

Let someone else take over custody of the past; I've no time for that now...

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

Great post- glad to hear your car was not in too bad of shape. :) Also, good to hear that you 'shook off' the past and are looking forward to what is ahead.

As for skype- I really can't imagine living without it- such a great way to keep in touch with friends and family all over the world. However, I do know the pesky 'chat' messages can pop up and remind of things (best) forgotten. OR ...when my daughter in NZ signs in to our skype account to chat with her fiance in Seattle- I had to 'warn' them about the chat appearing on MY computer in Renton ...hee hee..I should have NOT told them and continued reading!! ;)