Friday, August 17, 2012

Biggie's Arrival


The kids had their way, finally, and now have a new pet. A four-year-old male, adopted from the SPCA today. A very calm and friendly cat, sweet with everybody so far.

This is the culmination of a long campaign; in the end I gave in. There hasn't been a lot special I have been able to do for them lately -- no trips or vacations or surprises.

A few movies, meals out, some small treats. But nothing really, truly special.

Biggie (yep, named after the late rapper) is special. All three love cats, and I mean really love cats.

I've been to the SPCA, looking at the cats up for adoption there probably 20 times over the past few years. My ex-girlfriend wanted one also.

Today, in the same room with Biggie was a two-year-old yellow female, extremely playful, slender, babyish.

We decided she deserved a home where she would have more attention than one where the only one around most of the time is an older writer, focused on his computer screen, unlikely to have a lot of extra energy to throw toys or play kitten games.

So we let the female stay (she'll be adopted in no time) and took JFK, aka Biggie.

The biggest change will be for me -- now I won't be quite so much alone all the time that the kids aren't here. And since school is about to start up again, that will be a lot more of the time than has been the case over the summer.

So we'll have to see how Biggie and I get along.

The cat hasn't meowed once so far. He does purr. I'm not any kind of expert on cats, but I imagine he's just getting oriented. What is noticeable is that he sticks close to where the kids are, and doesn't seem too motivated to explore the place, beyond an initial trip around the flat, sniffing every corner.

Maybe after we go to sleep, he'll take another cruise around the place. I'm relying on the kids, and their knowledge about cats, to figure him out.

***

People like to have pets, generally. Having a pet is good for your health, they say -- physically, mentally, and emotionally.

If they are right, I should soon begin to get healthier, right?

Certainly, cats are low-maintenance pets, requiring very little care. Biggie has his litter box, food, water, and a little bed in a cardboard box my daughter created for him.

He's got three extremely attentive teenagers who think he's adorable. In other words, he will be well-loved. Since he seems to like affection, he'll get plenty of that from them.

Me? Sure, I like cats. I'm happy to rub their heads if they like that, or pet them, and so on. I'll probably end up talking to the guy.

After all, what I like is conversation.

What I miss most not having a partner is the utter lack of adult conversation that can characterize all too much of the time I spend alone.

There are plenty of professional conversations, almost every day -- I don't lack for that. So many startups are seeking coverage on my blog at 7x7 that I'm backlogged, with around a dozen or more waiting in the wings.

And I love those conversations.

But there are precious few personal conversations. Hardly any ever.

Maybe Biggie will be interested in that kind of talking...

-30-

No comments: