Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Last Science Fair

I'm starting to realize that the theme of this blog is "transitions," and once I open it up to the public again, hopefully that will resonate with many people.

Transitions, large and small. It's hard in the moment to appreciate them; we tend to deny they are occurring or become over-emotional, in ways that may seem silly to anyone not living through that moment with you.

It's all just life, after all.

Today was my last middle school science fair, as a parent. That may not seem like such a big deal, and in fact it is not.

But, in context, I was visiting the school to see my youngest child's "invention." And two days ago she found out she has been assigned by the City to a high school she did not want to attend, where no one she know attends, and has until very recently, in the words of her brothers, been considered a "ghetto" school.

Ugh.

Problem is, in this city, if you lack resources, you don't have many options once the bureaucrats decide where your child is to go.

Maybe there will be an upside, I hope. Maybe this will turn out to be okay.

But for now, all I can do is view my daughter's science invention, which turns out to be a better (or at least a more beautiful) cat scratcher.

Julia loves cats. She loves art.

Of course, she designed an artistic cat scratcher. Here are some photos:




No comments: