Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Homeless and Us


One of my favorite posts to edit since arriving at KQED was yesterday's by one of our interns. The article is about an Oakland artist who uses found materials on the street to construct small, free homes for homeless people. Read it. If only we all could have such impacts in our lives?

Today my youngest (#12 above) soldiered on in a losing cause, 2-13. In the photo above, she got to the ball first. I told her afterwards how proud of her I am as she continues competing in sports at a time when not much else seems to be giving her pleasure about life.

It is so hard to see such a wonderful young woman struggling with the complexities and disappointments of being a teenager.

Earlier today, I picked her up at a BART station after she made her way there from the East Bay. Only the second time she's done that. She had a distant look on her face and said nothing.

While waiting for her, I watched so many old, broken, sad people, some of whom are no doubt homeless. Across the Bay, one artists is doing something for them.

Maybe we all could do better?

-30-

No comments: