Sunday, February 28, 2016

Mailing in the Bills

Saturday mornings, for me, are the times I can catch up on errands like paying my bills. It turned out that my landlord was not playing a game with me over the supposedly missing rent check. In fact, neither she nor I were at fault. My January rent check was scanned incorrectly by her bank, resulting in a two-digit deposit as opposed to the four-digit check I sent her.

Meanwhile, I am watching the political coverage as Donald Trump marches on to what may well lead to him to be the next president. This reminds me of Ronald Reagan's rise to power. We can only hope that Trump, like Reagan, is all rhetoric and no action. Reagan did nothing to advance conservatism here in California or in the U.S.

He was instead a liberal in conservative clothing.

Unlike most people I know, I don't fear Trump. He's just another person, like Obama, who should he become president, will find out the limits of power.

But there is one threat he makes -- to remove the First Amendment protections that allows us to be journalists. For that, he will alienate all of us -- not politically, but as those who are the only fair and unbalanced check on power America has.


-30-

No comments: