Tuesday, June 01, 2021

One Girl's Life

                                              (NHK)

Back in 1979, alarmed by rapid population growth, the Communist government of China imposed a one-child policy on families there. Due to a cultural preference for males, that policy led to a severe gender imbalance before it was finally lifted in 2016. 

One of the stories that caught my eye over the weekend illustrates the specific impact that policy had on one girl's life. It was published by the Japanese news service NHK, about a Utah couple -- Brian and Longlan Stuy -- who adopted and raised three baby girls from China. 

As the girls grew up, they became curious about their birth parents, so the Stuys launched a search to see if they could find them.

"In China, when a baby is brought to an orphanage, the details of the child are published in a newspaper," explains NHK's senior Washington correspondent Tsuji Kohei. "The information includes gender, physical condition, date they were handed in and a photograph of their face. If their parents do not come forward within a certain period of time, the babies become available for adoption." 

Kohei interviewed the Stuys for his story. 

"The Stuys' home has piles of Chinese newspapers the couple collected as part of their search for information about their daughters' roots. In one of those newspapers, Brian spotted a photograph of one of his daughters and details of the orphanage."

Brian then flew to China and visited the orphanage, where he was told that his daughter had been left there voluntarily. But the Stuys later discovered that the same story was told to hundreds of adoptive parents about baby girls at orphanages all over China.

The family proceeded to build a database of more than 70,000 faces of babies and matched them to parents through their DNA, which was collected through an outreach program they initiated back in China. 

To date they have been able to identify the birth parents of about 100 children. Virtually all of those parents say they did not give up their babies voluntarily but were forced to abandon the girls due to the one-child policy.

This turned out to be the case for the Stuys' daughter Meilan, who was finally able to meet her birth parents two years ago.

"I had always thought they [willingly] gave me up. I was mad at them and didn't want to be associated with them in any way," she says. "But then the moment you realize that they actually wanted me, I felt guilty because my whole life, I've been trying to paint them as people that didn't want me; bad people. 

"But they were very nice people and they consider me as their daughter."

Although Meilan says the Stuys are her true family, she is grateful that at least now she understands why her birth parents abandoned her.

Meanwhile, this weekend, alarmed by the current low population growth, the Chinese government announced it will henceforth allow three children per family.

***

The news headlines:

Origin story: the truth behind an international adoption (NHK)

* Facing a demographic crisis, China to allow three children per family (WP, BBC)

Leading scientist says that without a full investigation of lab leak theory, the world will face ‘covid-26 and covid-32’ (WP)

Mobile vaccination units hit tiny U.S. towns to boost immunity (AP)

Doctors prepare to ration care as covid surge leaves Malaysia in ‘total lockdown’ (WP)

President Joe Biden commemorated those who died serving in the military in Memorial Day remarks at Arlington National Cemetery and urged Americans to honor the fallen by strengthening and protecting the nation's democracy.   "Democracy itself is in peril, here at home and around the world. What we do now -- what we do now, how we honor the memory of the fallen will determine whether or not democracy will long endure." (CNN)

Biden Aims to Rebuild and Expand Legal Immigration -- Documents show far-reaching efforts by President Biden to remake the immigration system and undo much of his predecessor’s legacy. (NYT)

Alzheimer’s drug spurs emotional battle as FDA nears deadline for approval -- The drug aducanumab would be the first new Alzheimer’s treatment since 2003, but it is also the latest example of a medication that is passionately supported by patients and advocacy groups but rejected by the FDA’s outside advisers. (WP)

World stocks set for 4th month of gains, yuan slips (Reuters)

For DoorDash and Uber Eats, the Future Is Everything in an Hour --Food-delivery apps are betting that widening the range of services they offer will help boost their slim margins. (WSJ)

Texas Democrats block restrictive voting bill by walking off the floor (WP)

How the Texas voting bill would have created hurdles for voters of color (WP)

Efforts to Advance Racial Equity Baked In Throughout Biden’s Budget (NYT)

Study blames climate change for 37% of global heat deaths (AP)

Four more indicted in alleged Jan. 6 Oath Keepers conspiracy to obstruct election vote in Congress (WP)

The Hot New Advantage in Sports: Being Old (WSJ)

* At the one-third mark of the 2021 baseball season (54 of 162 games), the surprising San Francisco Giants have the best record (34-20) in the National League, despite having played ten fewer games at home than on the road. The Oakland A's are in first place in the American League's West Division. Larger crowds are being allowed in stadiums as Covid recedes. (DW)

Your Body Survived a Pandemic. Don’t Punish It With Diet Fads. -- Don’t let the weight-loss industry shame you into thinking “back to normal” means a return to calorie counting and appetite suppressant lollipops. (NYT)

Dolly Parton Still Swears by Cheap Makeup -- The cultural icon, pandemic hero and newly minted beauty-brand mogul hates exercise, loves food and is thrilled by cheap makeup. (WSJ)

Genetically Altered Mosquitoes Target Dengue Fever and Zika (WSJ)

Climate Experts Say Only Hope For Saving Planet Lies With People Who Save Napkins From Takeout Order (The Onion)

***

"We Are Family"

Sung by Sister Sledge

Songwriters: Bernard Edwards / Nile Gregory Rodgers / Kuro

We are family
I got all my sisters with me
We are family
Get up everybody and sing
We are family
I got all my sisters with me
We are family
Get up everybody and sing
Everyone can see we're together
As we walk on by
(And) and we fly just like birds of a feather
I won't tell no lie
all of the people around us they say
Can they be that close
Just let me state for the record
We're giving love in a family dose
We are family (hey, y'all)
I got all my sisters with me
We are family
Get up everybody and sing (sing it to me)
We are family
I got all my sisters with me
We are family
Get up everybody and sing
Living life is fun and we've just begun
To get our share of this world's delights
(High) high hopes we have for the future
And our goal's in sight
no, we don't get depressed
Here's what we call our golden rule
Have faith in you and the things you do
You won't go wrong, oh no
This is our family jewel
We are family (hey, sing it to me)
I got all my sisters with me
We are family (oh, I can hear you now)
Get up everybody and sing
We are family
I got all my sisters with me
We are family (get up, get up y'all)
Get up everybody and sing
We are family (I got my sisters with me)
I got all my sisters with me
We are family
Get up everybody and sing (get up and sing it to me)
We are family

-30-

No comments: