Wednesday, January 05, 2022

A Love Story (Afghan Conversation 22)


The following is a true story as relayed by an Afghan friend who has been corresponding with me about life in his country since the Taliban took power last August. The names have been changed.

***

Dear David:

I know a young man, Musa, and a young woman, Shirin, who live in Kabul. They both come from Bamyan, where they met at school and fell in love in the 9th grade. At first, they were very happy just to be able to see each other in class. During vacation week, they met surreptitiously beneath the trees or next to the raceway in the village. When they couldn’t do that, Musa walked close to Shirin’s home, hoping to catch a glimpse of her. Just looking at each other was enough for them to feel good for the rest of the week apart. 

As they grew older, their attraction grew. But when their relationship became known at the school their classmates made fun of them and Shirin’s family told her she was forbidden to see Musa any longer. 

In Afghan society, what is considered an illicit relationship brings shame for the girl and her family. If a parent finds out their daughter has a relationship with any boy, the girl will be blamed, beaten or even killed, because they believe their daughter has disgraced them. Therefore, if a girl should fall in love with someone, she tries to keep it secret. 

This is especially true with the Taliban in control of the country. Sharia law dictates that if a man and a woman have such a relationship, they will be killed by stones thrown at their heads. 

Shirin and Musa were too much in love to stay apart despite the scandal and they continued seeing each other, including after they finished high school two years ago. Then, one year ago, Musa decided he had to end their relationship because he was a college student and couldn't provide for their expenses if they got married. After hearing this news, Shirin became despondent and tried to commit suicide by ingesting a packet of tablets. Her family took her to the hospital and she survived. 

After this, Musa and Shirin again resumed their relationship and got engaged. But he still cannot afford to marry her. 

Recently, Shirin left her parents’ home after a family quarrel and asked Musa’s mother what she should do. Her future mother-in-law said there was no choice – she had to go back to her own parents’ house. (This has been the steadfast position of both families throughout their relationship.)

For now Shirin has returned to her parents’ home, where she suffers their constant rebukes, and Musa is continuing with his university studies. Their story does not yet have an ending.

***

Thank you to the small group of people who have helped me from time to time with various aspects of my Afghan friend’s situation. This is 22nd conversation I have published.

TODAY’S NEWS:

TODAY’S LYRICS

“In Dreams”

Roy Orbison

A candy-colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room every night
Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper
Go to sleep, everything is alright

I close my eyes then I drift away
Into the magic night, I softly say
A silent prayer like dreamers do
Then I fall asleep to dream my dreams of you

In dreams I walk with you
In dreams I talk to you
In dreams you're mine all of the time
We're together in dreams, in dreams

But just before the dawn
I awake and find you gone
I can't help it
I can't help it
If I cry
I remember that you said goodbye

It's too bad that all these things
Can only happen in my dreams
Only in dreams

In beautiful dreams 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

♥️♥️😥♥️♥️