Tuesday, January 04, 2022

Starting Time

 Maybe it’s just me but this so-called “2022” feels like it is having a bit of trouble getting started. It reminds me of my old 2004 Saturn, which I owned for 17 years and which in its declining years initially refused to respond when I turned the ignition key to “on.” 

When this failure to launch started to happen, I usually called my road service number for help. After a guy arrived and started up the car, I dutifully drove it around for 30 minutes as instructed until the battery was fully charged.

Those 30-minute drives to nowhere were strange experiences. Sometimes I just cornered around the city, repeating familiar routes to schools, offices and stores I used to visit. Occasionally, I got on a freeway and headed south to some point in Silicon Valley before turning around and heading back home.

The car performed as instructed and then, for a week or so, it would start up properly whenever I needed to go somewhere for real.

But then another morning would come, usually a chilly or wet morning, when it refused to start again.

This became such a chronic condition that I consulted several mechanics seeking a solution. They tested the car, replaced this or that, pronounced it fixed and returned it to me, but then the reluctance to launch problem came back again.

This might not have bothered me as much as it did if my own body didn’t seem to be following a similar trajectory, preferring as it were to remain stationary when I tried to get it going each morning.

Luckily, I rarely needed to call road service (aka 911) for my body’s sake although that occasionally did prove necessary. But my car proved to be another matter.

Then I learned a trick. If I tried and failed to start it, then waited ten minutes, the old engine would fire up just like it was new, and I could drive away successfully to wherever I desired to go.

This continued to be the case for over a year (no more emergency road service calls!) until I reluctantly parted with the old thing, mainly because I didn’t really much need it anymore — or so I thought at the time. 

Anyway, enough about old cars and old bodies and back to the new year. It most definitely is 2022, because both my iPhone and my laptop say it is. Here’s hoping that the world wakes up and starts acting like it one of these days soon.

TODAY’S NEWS:

TODAY’s LYRICS:

“Love Minus Zero/No Limit”

Bob Dylan

My love she speaks like silence,
Without ideals or violence,
She doesn't have to say she's faithful,
Yet she's true, like ice, like fire.
People carry roses,
Make promises by the hours,
My love she laughs like the flowers,
Valentines can't buy her.

In the dime stores and bus stations,
People talk of situations,
Read books, repeat quotations,
Draw conclusions on the wall.
Some speak of the future,
My love she speaks softly,
She knows there's no success like failure
And that failure's no success at all.

The cloak and dagger dangles,
Madams light the candles.
In ceremonies of the horsemen,
Even the pawn must hold a grudge.
Statues made of match sticks,
Crumble into one another,
My love winks, she does not bother,
She knows too much to argue or to judge.

The bridge at midnight trembles,
The country doctor rambles,
Bankers' nieces seek perfection,
Expecting all the gifts that wise men bring.
The wind howls like a hammer,
The night blows cold and rainy,
My love she's like some raven
At my window with a broken wing.

No comments: