Thursday, January 06, 2022

Just Another Love Story (That's the Way It Goes)

 

This January 6th there is plenty of news. 

I could write about the threats to democracy, or Covid, climate change, the economy, web.3, NFTs, blockchain, bitcoin, Congress, the midterms, the crises in Kazakhstan, Turkey, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Iran, or any number of other topics. 

But I think that I won’t. Instead I think I’ll write about love.

Over the months I’ve been publishing excerpts of my conversations with my young friend in Afghanistan, I’ve often reassured him that people here on the other side of the world really do care about what is happening to the Afghan people — or at least they would care if they knew.

That is my presumption and why I’ve devoted 22 essays to telling the stories he witnesses on a daily basis since the heartless Taliban guerrilla army took over his country. 

But I also know it is very difficult for my fellow Americans to think too much about those in a distant land they’ve never visited when there are much more immediate concerns closer at hand.

So the truth of the matter is I don’t know whether beyond a few stalwarts if my fellow citizens actually have the bandwidth to focus on the plight of the Afghan people. 

But I do know that Americans care about love. And I know enough about the young couple (Musa and Shirin) my friend wrote about yesterday to confirm that their love is as precious and vulnerable as that shared by any two Americans.

Their situation is complicated by the strictures of Afghan society, including outmoded concepts of a woman’s freedom to love whomever she chooses. But otherwise their love story is familiar.

For many of us, anywhere on the planet, it is not uncommon to feel attracted to somebody when we meet them, but rare that the attraction proves mutual and circumstances converge to make a romance possible.

But when that does happen, it’s like the whole world goes off in a fireworks show — colorful lights streak through the sky and beautiful music fills the world around us.

In the early days of love, when anticipation about what might happen rules our conscious and unconscious thoughts and feelings, every fiber of our being feels like it is on edge.

A lot can and usually does happen after that — some good, some bad. The wonderful highs and joys have to be measured ultimately against the terrible pain of loss and disappointment. And few pains are as distinctly unbearable as a broken heart.

Nevertheless, we all know that some love stories have happy endings and we wish for that for Musa and Shirin. 

And that is the way of love all over the planet.

TODAY’s HEADLINES:

TODAY’s LYRICS (of course)

“That's the Way Love Goes”

Merle Haggard

Songwriters: Lefty Frizzell / Sanger D. Shafer

I've been throwing horseshoes
Over my left shoulder
I've spent most all my life
Searching for that four-leaf clover

Yet you ran with me
Chasing my rainbows
Honey, I love you too
That's the way love goes

That's the way love goes, babe
That's the music God made
For all the world to sing
It's never old, it grows
Losing makes me sorry
You say, "Honey, now don't worry
Don't you know I love you too?"
And that's the way love goes

That's the way love goes, babe
That's the music God made
For all the world to sing
It's never old, it grows
Losing makes me sorry
And you say, "Honey, don't worry
Don't you know I love you too?"
And that's the way love goes

No comments: