Monday, January 17, 2022

Friendship Without Borders (Afghan Conversation 23)

[This is the 23rd in a series of conversations I have been having with an Afghan friend about life in Afghanistan since the Taliban took over his country last August. We have both come to the painful conclusion that there is no way he can safely get out of his country at the present time. Thank you to our mutual friends he mentions in this entry. Our conversations will continue, and I am protecting his identity for his safety.]

Life is an awful, ugly place to not have a best friend. – Sarah Dessen, novelist. 

_________________________________

Dear David:

What is friendship?. People have thought about it for a thousand years, but as far as I can tell there is no specific definition. 

Aristotle noted: “Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods.” 

When I was a student, most of my classmates told silly jokes, and their points of view disgusted me.  But I did have a few friends who were loyal and we helped each other when we most needed help.

Four years ago, when it looked like I would have to leave the university because of financial problems, one of my  friends said that he would support me until I finished and got my university degree. And that is what happened.

Since the Taliban took over Afghanistan, and I started to write to you about the situation here, I have been able to make a few new friends overseas.  Once or twice a week I speak with them, and I  calm down from their words like a child when he hears his mother's voice. On dark days, theseis friendships are everything to me – they bring me hope, courage, and healing,

Of course friendship, like any other form of love, can cause suffering and misery, from endless pain and constant tearing to the deep wounds of betrayal, or the painful torments of unrequited love.

But friendships have many benefits. Friendship kindles love in the heart that gives color and depth to a person's life; It creates loyalty that breaks down the barriers of selfishness; It provides us with safe companionship and a haven when we are in trouble; It is a consolation for our sufferings, the patience stone for our agony, and a motivation for our efforts. 

For now, I feel lucky that I have good friends, though few in number, lovely in nature.

***

MONDAY’s HEADLINES

No comments: