Sunday, January 16, 2022

OtherWise

Locked down due to Covid, confined to the house, drinking multiple cups of coffee, my waking hours are dominated by boredom and inactivity.

Sleeping is another matter. As my physical boundaries have narrowed, my dreams have taken on whole new dimensions. During one extended sequence, I was visiting a watery paradise of islands and beaches and waves, following some time in the mountains, green and endless-seeming.

After the tropics, I was again back in the mountains, only now there was snow everywhere, quite beautiful in appearance.

As I navigated my way through these imaginary environments, there was nothing palpably dangerous or threatening for once — I seemed at ease no matter where I found myself, although I was definitely aware that I was lost and trying to find my way back to basecamp.

Nothing unpleasant, just a contentment with the world around me. But this drifting feeling when asleep is in sharp contrast to my actual physical life, which contains no movement and no change of venue.

As we process the test results as they come in, I have no indication when “real life” will resume. Until then I guess I’m hoping that my dream life at night will continue to compensate for the cabin fever of my days.

TODAY’s NEWS:

 

No comments: