Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Whose Life Exactly?

 

It is probably natural, having worked in the mixed worlds of journalism, movies, academia, non-profit and private sector, “old” media and digital media, that I continue to get a lot of questions about my long strange career.

It is rare that a week goes by that somebody or other doesn’t call to discuss something about the way it was “back then.”

I always try to comply wit their requests, because I was a reporter for a long time and I know how many people resist such calls about what they know or remember.

Usually I’m willing to discuss pretty much anything except the identities of certain confidential sources or relationships that should not disclosed.

That leaves a pretty wide latitude for conversation. Probably the most sought-after information is about my years at Rolling Stone and specifically the Patty Hearst stories.

In 1975-6, Howard Kohn and I had three cover stories on the newspaper heiress’s kidnapping and apparent conversion to the cause of her kidnappers, the domestic terror organization calling itself the SLA.

Even mundane details of our own lives at the time seem to be of some interest and one recent caller asked me, “Do you ever think about how amazing it is that you did all of that? That you lived through it?”

The question took me aback for a moment, but I answered, “Sometimes it feels like it was in fact someone else, not me.”

After we hung up, I stayed with that thought about it feeling like somebody’s else’s life, not mine. I suspect a lot of people feel that way about the distant past and the things that happened back then — things that sound strangely exotic now.

Given that we grow and change substantially throughout our lives it is kinda true, too, that many of us were pretty much someone else when younger. And speaking only for myself, I have no regrets about that.

WEDNESDAY’s HEADLINES:

No comments: