Sunday, November 27, 2022

The Fan

My earliest and formative experiences in journalism were not in political or environmental or business reporting but in sports. As a freshman at the University of Michigan, I joined the sports staff of the Michigan Daily and eventually, by my senior year, became sports editor.

Subsequently, my career focus moved away from sports but those early years taught me the discipline of covering a team fairly while as a fan you also root for it to succeed. It’s a tricky balance, but I wrote or edited many articles about racism, potential corruption and NCAA investigations of the university’s sports programs at the same time I was cheering them on from the sidelines.

That is a lesson every journalist must learn.

But these many decades later, although I no longer cover sports, I am still a fan and so it was that the biggest news in my world this weekend was that Michigan beat Ohio State!

There is only one objective statement I can make about that — Go Blue!

LINKS:

 

No comments: