Thursday, May 30, 2024

In the Arms of Love


As you have seenI am a writer who came of a sheltered life. A sheltered life can be a daring life as well. For all serious daring comes from within. — Eudora Welty

***

When I taught memoir writing, the students often found that old family photos were at least as important as letters, journals and other written documents. Recently, I stumbled upon this one of my mother holding me on my first birthday back in 1948.

I love the car in the background and the long row of houses there in the post-war suburb outside of Detroit. It helps locate me in time and place and literally screams “far away and long ago.”

This photo is one of many in an old black photo album with crumbling pages. The tape holding the photos to the paper has worn off in many cases, leaving the images in free-fall.

Other photos in the album show my father, sisters, friends, relatives and a classic of my Scottish grandparents in front of their camping trailer.

I could try as a writer to describe that era, which I do not remember, but it would be difficult to capture much of it with more than a smidgeon of the richness these simple images convey.

This was the essence of what I was trying to express in my recent essay, “Seeing.” These many years later, it is as if I am the one holding a camera that can see backward through time and space to the emptiness before memory. Back to just after my story began but before memories formed.

Back to my origin in the arms of love.

Thanks to my friend Kenneth Schmidt for the Welty quote and other insights.

HEADLINES:

  • Jury in Trump’s hush money case will begin deliberations after hearing instructions from the judge (AP)

  • How will the Trump verdict shape the 2024 election? (WP)

  • Israel says Gaza war likely to last another seven months as tanks probe Rafah (Reuters)

  • The Alitos, the Neighborhood Clash and the Upside-Down Flag (NYT)

  • Extinct ‘mountain jewel’ plant returned to wild - in secret location (BBC)

  • Harvard Says It Will No Longer Take Positions on Matters Outside of the University (NYT)

  • Major League Baseball plans to officially incorporate stats from the Negro Leagues, in operation from 1920 to 1948 when baseball was segregated, into its record book. (WP)

  • Amazing discovery shows Ancient Egyptians were trying to cure cancer 4,000 years ago (Independent)

  • In Pompeii, archaeologists find children's sketches of gladiators (Reuters)

  • The Child-Nutrition Myth That Just Won’t Die (Atlantic)

  • Elon Musk Is Fighting With Meta’s Chief AI Scientist (Gizmodo)

  • Former OpenAI board member explains why they fired Sam Altman (Verge)

  • How Maven’s AI-run ‘serendipity network’ can make social media interesting again (TechCrunch)

  • Google’s weird AI answers hint at a fundamental problem (WP)

  • The Prompt: Google’s AI Suggested Adding Glue To Pizza (Forbes)

  • It Begins: AI Beats Financial Analysts' Performance (Inc.)

  • OpenAI Says It Has Begun Training a New Flagship A.I. Model (NYT)

  • Biden, Trump Die 2 Minutes Apart Holding Hands (The Onion)

 

No comments: