Monday, August 14, 2006

Aloneness/Togetherness

It must be true. Too many women I respect have told me the same thing now: Men need to be together with women more than women need to be with men, as we age. Men do much worse living alone than do women. Men suffer from loneliness and isolation more than women do. These things I am told over and over, as common wisdom, from women.

Most men don't have as much to say about this but they often admit to women friends that they are pretty unhappy being alone. I think in my case there is a fundamental disconnect in that I love being in a relationship but am invariably attracted to strong, independent women who are in the midst of change, often seeking something they cannot necessarily name.

By the time I've given my heart away, they may have started to disengage, on some level, as they sense the need to remain independent would be compromised by getting entangled with me and my complicated family life. One step in, two steps out; that's how they dance away from me. I always try to explain to a new woman how difficult it is for me to find true intimacy on all three levels --intellectual, physical, and most importantly, emotional.

But invariably they underestimate their effect on me. They always seem to think that another, more appropriate mate will come along for me, somehow. Maybe they are right, but when they say this, it feels like they are more interested in handing me off, much like a relay racer hands off her baton, to the next woman who runs into view.

I fear this says something rather sad about me, or rather the experience of being my partner. It certainly is not the best way for me to advertise myself for some future partner! My dinner companion tonight said, "You're attracted to women going through their middle life crisis, David." She said it takes 4-5 years for a woman to complete this stage of her development, and by the time she is done, who knows whether she will want to be with me.

I hope she is wrong about me in this respect: Even though I agree people are often the most interesting when they are "broken," I'd like to think my willingness to engage with the melancholic side of a woman would allow her to share her joyful side with me as well.

My friend also said men like younger women mainly because they are happier -- they laugh more than older women tend to. No one feels attracted to cynicism unless it is a mask for hope, and you can intuitively decode that. Many older women, for good reasons, no doubt, have become cynical about men in a way I find completely off-putting; I admit it. I could never be with someone like that.

For me, youthfulness is an attitude, a personality characteristic that is only partly measured in years. Being curious, hopeful, idealistic and remaining open to learning new things and having new experiences is the way I'd like to be myself, and invariably it's the way the women I find attractive are, as well.

I've figured out this much. Life, like stories, ideally has three acts. I'd hoped I'd met my Act Three when I got involved with my ex-girlfriend. But I realize she was clear with me that I am not the right person for her, for specific reasons I've disclosed here in the past. Therefore, how could I have imagined she would be the right person for me?

Because for a while, she really tried to be. I don't know what exactly went wrong, or why she got tired of what we had, but she did. And she is gone from me.

My realization is that Act Three, for me, will probably involve meeting the right person to do what I've twice before done, quite successfully, really. And that is to get married. She will have to like my children, but by all accounts that is not a difficult assignment. Beyond that one requirement, she has to want to be with a man who is as willing to see her cry as to laugh.

In other words, she has to want to actually be seen by me, as she is, not as the world would have her be...

-30-

***


En Espanol: Aloneness/Togetherness

Debe ser verdad. Demasiadas mujeres que respeto me han dicho la misma cosa ahora: Los hombres necesitan ser junto con mujeres más que las mujeres necesitan estar con los hombres, pues envejecemos. Los hombres hacen solo vivo mucho peor que las mujeres. Los hombres sufren de soledad y el aislamiento más que mujeres. Estas cosas me dicen repetidamente, como sabiduría común, de mujeres.

La mayoría de los hombres no tienen tanto a decir sobre esto sino que admiten a menudo a los amigos de las mujeres que son el estar bastante infeliz solos. Pienso en mi caso allí soy una desconexión fundamental en que amo el estar en una relación pero la atraída invariable a las mujeres fuertes, independientes que están en el medio del cambio, buscando a menudo algo ella no puede nombrar necesariamente.

Para el momento en que haya dado mi corazón lejos, ella pudo haber comenzado a desunir, en un cierto nivel, pues ella detecta la necesidad de seguir siendo independiente sería comprometida consiguiendo enredada con mí y mi vida de familia complicada. Un paso adentro, dos pasos hacia fuera; ése es cómo bailan lejos de mí. Intento siempre explicar a una nueva mujer cómo es difícil está para que encuentre intimidad verdadera en los tres niveles --intelectual, físico, y más importante, emocional.

Pero subestiman invariable su efecto sobre mí. Se parecen siempre pensar que otros, un compañero más apropiado vendrán adelante para mí, de alguna manera. Tienen quizá razón, pero cuando dicen esto, se siente como están más interesada en darme apagado, como un corredor del relais da de su bastón de mando, a la mujer siguiente que funciona en la visión.

Temo que esto diga algo algo triste sobre mí, o algo la experiencia de ser mi socio. ¡No es ciertamente la mejor manera para que se anuncie para algún socio futuro! Mi compañero de la cena dicho esta noche, “te atraen a las mujeres que pasan con su crisis media de la vida, David.” Ella dijo que toma 4-5 años para que una mujer termine esta etapa de su desarrollo, y para el momento en que la hacen, que sabe si ella deseará estar con mí.

Espero que ella sea incorrecta sobre mí a este respecto: Aun cuando convengo la gente es la más interesante cuando ella “está rota,” yo quisiera a menudo pensar mi buena voluntad de enganchar con el lado melancholic de una mujer permitiera que ella compartiera su lado alegre con mí también.

Mi amigo también dijo a hombres como mujeres más jóvenes principalmente porque son más felices -- ríen más que más viejas mujeres tienden a. Nadie se siente atraída al cinismo a menos que sea una máscara para la esperanza, y puedes intuitivo descifrar eso. Muchas más viejas mujeres, por buenas razones, ninguna duda, han hecho cínicas sobre hombres de una manera que encuentro totalmente off-putting; La admito. Podría nunca estar con alguien como eso.

Para mí, la juventud es una actitud, una característica de la personalidad que se mida solamente en parte en años. Siendo curioso, esperanzado, idealista y restante abrirte en aprender nuevas cosas y tener nuevas experiencias es la manera que quisiera ser mismo, y es invariable la manera las mujeres encuentro atractivo soy, también.

He calculado hacia fuera este mucho. La vida, como historias, tiene idealmente tres actos. Había esperado que había resuelto mi acto tres cuando conseguí implicado con mi ex-novia. Pero realizo que ella estaba clara con mí que no soy la persona adecuada para ella, porque razones específicas que he divulgado aquí en el pasado. ¿Por lo tanto, cómo podría tenerla imaginado sería la persona adecuada para mí?

Porque durante algún tiempo, ella realmente intentó ser. No sé qué fueron exactamente mal, o porqué ella consiguió cansado de lo que teníamos, pero ella hizo. Y la van de mí.

Mi realización es ese acto tres, para mí, implicará probablemente el satisfacer de la persona adecuada para hacer lo que tengo dos veces antes de hecho, absolutamente con éxito, realmente. Y ése es conseguir casado. Ella tuvo que como mis niños, pero por todas las cuentas que no es una asignación difícil. Más allá de ese un requisito, ella tiene que desear estar con un hombre que esté como queriendo ver su grito en cuanto a risa.

Es decir ella tiene que desear ser visto realmente por mí, pues ella es, no pues el mundo hizo que ella fuera…

fijado por los comentarios de David Weir @ 7:16 P.M. 0 se liga a este poste

No comments: