Sunday, October 01, 2006

Party For One


Today, anticipating a night alone, I did something strange (for me). I went to Safeway and bought whatever struck me as desirable. This was really quite an exciting experience for me, much as somebody who likes to pick up people in bars must feel. A treat is coming!

So I bought all kinds of contradictory ingredients -- oysters (raw), lamb, ginger, green pepper, mushrooms, snap snow peas, garlic, zucchini, tiny sweet tomatoes, horseradish, cocktail sauce, limes, carrots...I'm thinking about whether to harvest some rosemary from my garden as well, though it's dark now, so I may skip that, though I think it would be nice with the lamb.

It is a relatively rare experience for me to shop for myself only. Usually, I am stocking up on items like Goldfish, kiwis, grapes, Cheerios, rotini pasta, cookies, salami slices, baby carrots, small water bottles and the like for school lunches. Or, waffles, pancakes, syrup, etc., for breakfasts.

Today, for some reason, I decided it was time for me to cook a nice dinner for myself.

I would prefer a different evening. One of the happiest things I ever do is go to the grocery store with a special girlfriend, pick out the ingredients together, and go back home to slowly cook a delicious meal.We shop together, we chop together, we cook together, we eat together.

Usually, I'll light candles and put on music.

Over the years, when it's been possible to live like this, I have been the happiest of happy people. Tonight, of course, I have no such option. So I guess I am making another night alone as special as I can. Does that make sense?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it makes total sense.

Stream said...

Mmm, sounds like it was a feast...