Sunday, October 01, 2006

In case tomorrow never comes

Before I get started on this continuation of a series of short postings tonight, I have to ask whether you've visited one of my photo sites lately? If not, please check out Sidewalk Images, where tonight I decided to tell a story. BTW, these sites are ad-supported (hint...)

This is sad day in San Francisco, if only because it probably is the last time some big stars took the field at Telephone Company Park. Barry Bonds went out a winner, smashing a double to right field in what was probably his last at bat as a Giant.



This is also a happy day in San Francisco, because out on Treasure Island, our Little League Rockies won their first game of this fall season, a come-from-behind victory over the Yankees, 7-5. My left-handed batting 12-year-old started off the final inning with an infield hit, a high bouncer up the middle. As he streaked to first, I was reminded of a race horse -- you can't teach speed like he has. The throw was errant and he aggressively took second, sliding in and tearing a cut in his leg.

Then, upon my signal (a wagging pencil) he stole third, cutting his leg again. When the batter stroked a single up the middle, he raced home and tied the game. Soon after, we scored twice more and won the game. Of course I am proud of this kid -- he got on base one way or another all three times he came to the plate today and stole three bases. He is like lightening on the bases, or on the soccer field...

Here he is, yesterday, streaking down the sideline in that soccer victory. Once again, I publish this photo, and the final one below, courtesy of Brian Castagne.



Soccer, and baseball, are team sports. Note how Brian captured the perfect "orange line" in this last photo. It gives me chills just to look at it. Much like poetry, ballet, opera, or great sex, :-) , this is the precise point where art and life meet.

-30-

No comments: