Thursday, August 02, 2007

Letter from VilleFranche



This ancient coastal town overlooks the main harbor of Nice from the safety of high, thick castle walls erected in the 1500s.



There is also an underground arcade of sorts, a lovely curved beach, and reputably the best Salade Nichoise in the region.



Of course, I ordered Nice Salad for my lunch, unwittingly, since I never look in guidebooks, but my companions informed me that the establishment we had chosen was indeed known for its rendition of this local dish.



We've also tracked down other regional specialties -- stuffed tomatoes, quiche, red ham slices, black olives, mussel & sea urchin soup, anchovies, ratatoulle, and fois gras.









Visiting the beach of small pebbles, I also searched out some of my beloved seaglass, tiny shells, and stones.


-30-

No comments: