Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dads Shopping With Daughters



I suspect that when the end of my time here on earth comes, assuming I get enough time to reflect on it, one of my favorite memories will be taking my daughters shopping.

That may surprise you, because I, like many men, absolutely hate shopping.

Except in one circumstance. Holding one of my daughters' hands, going downtown, finding the store, and locating the clothes that make them feel happy -- that makes me feel good.



Call me a sucker (I am) but when I get the opportunity to take one of my daughters shopping, and we find something she likes, I feel fulfilled as a parent.

I don't know why. But maybe these flowers and carrots (shot by JuJu) or my portrait of JuJu (photographed by me) supply some answers. And I certainly hope the answer is not that I was a closet consumer.

Of all the roles I've played in this complex life, that of father is by far the most satisfying. I hope all of my girls (and boys) will remember that once I am gone.

-30-

No comments: