Wednesday, April 01, 2009

I've Glimpsed the Future (and I like what I see)

Why the long face? I know it's virtually heretical to not bemoan all the lost jobs, frozen credit, stalled building projects, corporate bankruptcies, and the like, but I'm feeling quite bullish about everything that is happening, actually.

It's exciting to live through a revolution, especially, given my love of data and words, an information revolution! You won't catch me crying if GM goes bankrupt or if AIG is finally allowed to fail. Frankly, I hope housing prices continue to fall -- steeply -- especially in the places where I'd like to live.

And I don't really think losing a "job" is all that much of a disaster, if you're willing to be innovative, persistent, and creative. First of all, it's probably your former employer's "loss," not yours. Human talent is what makes any company thrive; squander it, let it walk away, and most companies' days are numbered.

Secondly, many if not most jobs become routinized over time. People care out a niche, stop listening to one another, and spend more energy protecting their turf than growing the company.

I'm all about growing the company. What attracts me is the early-stage, can-do spirit that built this country, and that continues to energize little groups of entrepreneurs who believe they may have the key to the Next Big Thing.

Besides, there's nothing in life quite as good as having control of your own time, that most precious of all assets. These days, I am discovering many more passions -- foods, music, books, ideas, people, companies -- than I will ever be able to indulge. That's okay, as the economy slows a bit, even though we're still just spinning in space, maybe I can slow down my piece of earth just enough to take on more company (mainly of the intellectual kind) before resuming hyper-speed.

Let the old fall away so the new can emerge. I'm loving it.

-30-

2 comments:

Shari Ilsen said...

Love the optimism! But I wonder what your advice is for those people who don't have the luxury to appreciate the hidden blessings of these hard times- those people who got screwed in the housing bust, worried about their retirement, kids' college funds, etc. (In the interest of disclosure, I'm 25 with no dependents, so this is not me). But these people don't have the luxury of being the innovators, the creators of the "Next Big Thing." Is there a way for these people to remain positive about the future when they're not as sure as you or I can be about what's coming next?

David Weir said...

Well, I *am* one of those people with all of those factors you mention -- every single one and more -- but rather than mourn what is now over and gone I am choosing to embrace the new opportunities this freedom affords me. Sure, I don't own any property any longer, my IRAs have collapsed, I've still got three pre-high school kids to help educate, and the damn health insurance industry has screwed me, leaving me vulnerable...but, then again...I just wrote my first song in decades yesterday for a local singer friend; I'm publishing an ebook soon; I'm eating more veggies and less meat; driving much less; seeing my kids and friends more. It *is* difficult to not know how much longer you will be able to afford your rent/mortgage, very difficult. But my point is we still are the richest people on earth, with access to reservoirs of credit and innovative opportunities if we choose to embrace them. Not to mention the ability to barter. :)