Friday, April 03, 2009

What Moves Me



In our culture, you could search far and wide before you would ever discover a gem like this:

Marion Williams singing our greatest gospel song, in a way, that to my ears, has never been equaled before or since. This performance was in my mind's eye as I held onto my singer daughter at my father's memorial service in the summer of the last year of the last century. We sang Amazing Grace with friends and family as we placed a portion of his ashes into the roots of that tree I wrote about a few nights ago.

The thing about this video clip that amazes me, and I have listened to it three straight times now, is how it embodies the blues, gospel, faith, and rock n roll so seamlessly that you are swept along as if by a powerful river.

Maybe that, in the end, is what faith is -- a powerful river where you can only surrender, to God.

I think I get it, and even if I can never get there with you all, I honor the feeling, understand the joy, and most of all, appreciate the music!

-30-

No comments: