Friday, October 02, 2009

Capacity Exceeded

I've posted so many photos to my blogs that Google won't allow me any more free storage space. I'm going to have to purchase more space to keep showing photos in the future.

This has been a luxury I didn't fully appreciate until it went away. There were photos I would have put up last night & tonight, but they'll have to wait until I fork over some money to the richest company in the world.

Don't get me wrong; I don't resent the limitation. Server space is expensive, and nothing of value is free. It's just that so much of the blogging experience is free (Blogger hasn't charged for having too many words -- yet) that one forgets that unless this can be built into a business, it will eventually become a cost center.

I've been struggling with AdSense trying to make this an ad-supported space, but I currently make around twenty cents off of each one of these posts. If you wonder why print journalists have struggled to survive in online media, it's because if this were published in print, I'd make more like $3-500 per post.

It's a new world, one that confuses us as much as it inspires us. Of course, this blog, as more of a journal, or personal exploration, is not really intended to be a money-maker.

It just would be nice, that's all.

As we approach our 1,500th post here at Hotweir, I'm reminded that I almost hung up my cleats when I reached 1,000. I'm surprised to be approaching another milestone so soon; it doesn't seem very long ago.

I'm uncertain about the future of this blog, frankly. I love posting here, but the audience is fairly small (though much larger than in the old days) and I never settle into a pattern with the content.

It's personal but not very revealing. It's political but not doctrinaire. It's about family but only at a high level. The writing is not very emotional because I am not in a mood to go there these days.

It is not about business or my profession because I write about that stuff elsewhere. It just is what it is, and I have no idea whether it is serving a useful purpose for anyone other than me.

I'll commit to getting to 1,500 and then reconsider. That should be in about a week...

-30-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be extremely disappointed and upset if you stopped posting here. I check your blog twice daily for any updates and have since you began in 2006. Even if you miss a day or two here and there, it would be a terrible loss if you stopped. My 2 cents.

Anonymous said...

Do they allow you to delete your oldest postings? If so you wouldn't have to pay for more... (that's what we always have to do in the business world - archive or delete the old data to make room for the new...) For the record, I enjoy your blog and hope you'll keep it up - Love, Carole