Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Oddness of Silence

The Giants' little big-hearted pitcher, Tim Lincecum, pitched a no-hitter in San Diego last night. The defending World Champs had sunk to last place before a recent revival, and it was great to see "Timmy," who is universally loved here in San Francisco, bounce back from what has been a difficult season so far.

It was a big week for me. I signed an offer letter that means I will have a full-time job starting next month for the first time since January 2009.

I will be the senior online news editor for a large local media organization.

A massive pile of snow-white fog rolled in over Twin Peaks last night. As I was driving my youngest back to her Mom's house for the night, I pointed it out to her. She just nodded from behind her earphones.

Lost in the music.

As the parent of teens, it is often my fate to be driving them here or there, and trying to talk to them when I realize they can't hear me. They almost never hear me. They listen to their music, text their friends, watch movies on their mobiles, but they are not really present for me.

So I babble on, like an idiot, with no audience.

Just the sound of my own voice in a modern technological wilderness. Not to complain, but somehow that is lonelier than when I am actually alone.

-30-

No comments: