Wednesday, August 21, 2013

As Boys Become Men

My 18-year-old, now a newly independent adult with a driver's license, met me for lunch today at the Starbuck's next to my office. I know this sounds like a tiny thing, but it made me so proud to meet with him there on this new basis, now he is no longer a minor, nor a student.

At the table with me was a beautiful, brilliant young man at the beginning of his adult life, with so much to offer our society, but not yet knowing how he will fit in.

He talked about his job search. It's been tough so far. Few companies want to hire teenagers, even ones as charming and reliable as he is. So, while he continues to seek work, I encouraged him to pursue his art, examples of which I've posted here. I hope he will launch a website, where people can see his drawings, which are truly remarkable.

His passion and talent may not soon translate into a career, but that doesn't matter. What matters is his journey to finding out how he can help us make this a better society. In that, I have ultimate confidence in Aidan.

I'm sure any parent reading this knows what I am talking about...

-30-

No comments: