Sunday, June 06, 2021

Landing a Blogger


The phrase "flying blind" has new meaning for me this weekend, due to that mysteriously disappearing post, but at least I am glad to find out everyone else on the planet has seen it but me. 

(As of 6 a.m. Sunday I still cannot see the post, "The Suppression Syndrome," or any of the comments associated with it. Facebook has not responded to my requests for help.)

First, a big thank you to everybody who contacted me with encouragement and suggestions Saturday. As you can tell, despite my many years working on the digital side of media, I've pretty much failed to develop any technical skill.

The truth is that during a quarter-century on the web, I was the beneficiary of many, many kind IT folks who put up with my utterly illogical mind.

That said, it remains truly confusing after so many years of posting to Facebook to suddenly have a piece simply disappear like that. I continue to get an error message that the page is "not available right now, try back later."

It's almost as if that particular essay fell into a black hole; and it occurred to me that because I wrote about UFO's and extraterrestrial life in the post, maybe I'd inadvertently triggered an interstellar incident.

Or because everyone else could see it, maybe it was me who fell into the black hole. My 12-year-old grandson and I have been so eagerly awaiting the declassified government files on this topic that we are almost relieved when something weird happens these days.

It also seems possible that I somehow triggered an algorithmic censor at FB. It's hard to see what that could have been, however, since my main topic in the essay -- the GOP effort to make it more difficult for voters in Democratic areas to vote -- has been a common theme for me and others for weeks now.

We'll have to see, as this new essay right now goes to print whether everything will revert to the norm or if it too will disappear. This feels very much like driving down the highway in my old car as a teenager. It was pretty much expected that it would break down before long...and it always did.

But in those days a mechanic aways came to my rescue. Where is the number for IT when I need it...

***

The news:

* Today is the 77th anniversary of D-Day. (DW)

Yellen says inflation could reach 3 percent this year as recovery continues (WP)

For GOP candidates, there’s no escaping the influence of Trump (WP)

Bitcoin: El Salvador plans to make crypto-currency legal tender -- First country to do so. (BBC)

An Alaska glacier hurtles downhill in a rare exhibition of ‘surging’ (WP)

Burkina Faso attack: More than 130 killed in village raid (BBC)

G-7 countries reach agreement on 15 percent minimum global tax rate (WP)

U.S. Added 559,000 Jobs in May, but Road to Recovery Is Bumpy -- Many employers report having trouble finding applicants. Economists say the labor market may simply need time to get sorted out. (NYT)

Biden says it ‘makes sense’ for enhanced jobless aid to end in Sept. -- The position marked a nuanced but important change from last month, when President Biden insisted there was no reason to believe the benefits were discouraging Americans from returning to work. Roughly 15 million Americans are currently receiving some federal unemployment benefits that will end under federal law on Sept. 6. (WP)

Amid brutal case surge, Afghanistan hit by a vaccine delay (AP)

U.S. federal judge overturns California's ban on assault weapons (Reuters)

‘There is stuff’: Enduring mysteries trail U.S. report on UFOs (AP)

Black Lives Matter Has Grown More Powerful, and More Divided -- Since the murder of George Floyd, the racial justice movement has received millions of dollars in donations. But some chapters have questioned how those funds are spent. (NYT)

President Biden’s mandate to boost wind-farm developments as sources of clean energy comes as the administration also takes steps to restore criminal penalties for the accidental killing of migratory birds. (WSJ)

Maine’s blueberry crop faces climate change peril (AP) 

* 40 years ago, the first cases of AIDS were reported in the U.S. (CNN) 

* Drone films itself flying into spewing lava (NHK)

* Arthur Staats, child psychologist and father of the ‘timeout’ concept, dies at 97 (WP)

* The amazing San Francisco Giants have the best record in baseball (37-21) (DW) 

* Old Bike Chain Needing More And More Lube To Perform (The Onion)

***

"Flying Blind"

Sung by Sheryl Crow
Songwriters: Sheryl Crow / Christopher Alvin Stapleton

No one tells you when you're young
That life is full of questions and there aren't that many answers
But I've come to believe
Sometimes yes or no depends on circumstances
Every morning I wake up, stare into my coffee cup
Never knowing what I'll find
Every day's a brand new day
I'm just tryin' to find a way to leave the other ones behind
'Cause I'm flying blind
I got no net to catch me when I fall
And I don't mind
'Cause I am only human after all
Well then once upon a time
Seems like only yesterday
I thought I'd live forever
But now every breath I take
I don't dare speculate
We can't predict the weather
Every morning I wake up, stare into my coffee cup
Never knowing what I'll find
Every day's a brand new day
I'm just tryna find a way
To leave the other ones behind
And I'm flying blind
I got no net to catch me if I fall
I don't mind
It seems I'm only human after all
Now and then I find myself
Back against the wall
With everything in front of me
That I can't see at all
Well I'm flying blind
I got no net to catch me when I fall
And I don't mind
'Cause I am only human after all

-30-

No comments: