Thursday, October 10, 2024

D-I-V-O-R-C-E

As the monster storm Milton smashed into on Florida, less than two weeks after its precursor, Helene, devastated the entire Southeast, the nation’s leaders were engaged in a clash of dueling narratives over storm relief.

It was if the rest of us were kids watching our soon-to-be divorcing parents fight at the very moment we just needed them to notice that the world was falling apart before our terrified eyes.

Talk about the road to dystopia.

The Republicans, led by Trump and Vance, continue to spread rumors, half-truths and outright lies designed to undermine trust in the federal government, led by Biden and Harris, who were desperately trying to show that they indeed were in charge.

As part of that effort, the President and Vice-President held an unprecedented televised meeting with their senior aides to reassure the nation that everything was under control.

Their senior aides obligingly complied.

Meanwhile, Tim Walz stayed out of the hurricane psychodrama altogether to focus on calling for the end of the Electoral College. I’m beginning to think he’s the only guy in America who sees what is happening here.

I know the kerfuffle over storm relief is just politics as usual, but it was distressing and unsettling to me to watch our political leaders seem so clueless about how this affects the rest of us. Do we still have a country any more, or is it more like two countries, you know, mom’s house and dad’s house?

When the pundits talk about political chaos, this is what they mean. But when disaster strikes what we yearn for his national unity, even if it won’t last. And it’s clear that there will never be any semblance of unity until Donald Trump is gone from the scene. God help us should he return to power.

Thanks to Susan Zakin and the Journal of the Plague Years for publishing my essay, “What Really Matters.” I recommend the Journal for its unique mix of fiction and non-fiction focusing on the here and now.

HEADLINES:

MUSIC (Listen):

D-I-V-O-R-C-E by Tammy Wynette (1968)

[Verse 1]
Our little boy is four years old and quite a little man
So we spell out the words we don't want him to understand
Like T-O-Y or maybe S-U-R P-R-I-S-E
But the words we're hiding from him now
Tear the heart right out of me

[Chorus]
Our D-I-V-O-R-C-E becomes final today
Me and little J-O-E will be goin' away
I love you both and this will be pure H-E double L for me
Oh, I wish that we could stop this D-I-V-O-R-C-E

[Verse 2]
Watch him smile, he thinks it Christmas or his fifth Birthday
And he thinks C-U-S-T-O-D-Y spells fun or play
I spell out all the hurtin' words and turn my head when I speak
'Cause I can't spell away this hurt
That's drippin' down my cheek

[Chorus]
Our D-I-V-O-R-C-E becomes final today
Me and little J-O-E will be goin' away
I love you both and this will be pure H-E double L for me

Oh, I wish that we could stop this D-I-V-O-R-C-E 

No comments: