Tuesday, October 08, 2024

Super Storms


Someone once described Florida as a tropical green finger reaching into the turquoise waters of the Caribbean. 

Ever since my first visit there as a youngster, I've loved the place. My uncle had an ice cream store somewhere near Tampa. When I helped out there during our visit one summer, the reward was all the ice cream I could eat.

In my 30s and 40s I spent part of each summer on Sanibel Island off of Ft. Myers well south of Tampa. I wrote parts of three books down there.

There are many other memories as well, some of them bittersweet. My Dad died in Florida. For all six of my kids, Florida was at some point in their lives a special kind of paradise.

But Florida has a huge problem and it’s called climate change. As it has gotten battered by storm after storm in recent years, long-time residents are starting to question how much longer life in the Sunshine State will even be viable.

Those concerns are hitting a crescendo right now. Helene caused extensive damage with only a passing blow. The cleanup is still underway and now Milton is headed straight for Tampa.

Of course there is a political storm in the aftermath of Helene over the allocation of resources, mainly in North Carolina. But that is to be expected in the final weeks of a campaign, especially when you have one candidate, Trump, willing to exploit any disaster for his own gain. 

Meanwhile, everyone else is worried whether a very special corner of the planet is going to become one of first casualties of global climate change.

HEADLINES: 

No comments: