Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Sorting It All Out

What to remember; what to forget.

I think I’m at that stage of life when it’s time to sort things out. 

But then there’s this: Forgetting to remember; remembering to forget. It’s a blessing that I’m still able to make sense of my life, sort of, or at least those pieces of it I can still claim. 

On paper, the career is one thing. It is easy to retrace how I migrated from job to job, writer to editor, worker to executive, analog to web.

It was by most standards a successful career, although it didn’t really feel like it at times. But I was able to support my expanding family, while mostly doing work I believed in and was relatively good at.

Raising six kids was a challenge on many levels, but I think they know that I always tried to be there for them. I’m still learning things about how to be a better parent, if mainly through the process of watching them parent.

When to hold on; when to let go.

Love? Yes I fell in love more than once or twice and some of my relationships even lasted a while. But you never know with love. It can pop up all of a sudden in unexpected ways.

What to say; what not to say.

I never forget the friends I made along the way. I never forget the people who helped me. Most of all, I never forget my many, many mistakes. 

Now the challenge is to not forget to remember some and remembering to forget the others. That makes all the difference.

HEADLINES:

  • Senator presses Hegseth, Caine for commitment to keep US military out of the midterm elections (AP)

  • A Stunning Win for the Left in Florida: 6 Takeaways From Tuesday’s Primaries (NYT)

  • S. Korea stresses US alliance amid confusion over Trump drill cut (NPR)

  • Facing Quagmire in Iran, Trump Turns to a Familiar Face: North Korea’s Kim Jong-un (NYT)

  • Trump says no talks with Iran taking place as standoff over Strait of Hormuz continues (CBS)

  • U.A.E. Halts Trade Ties With Iran and Says It Was Targeted With Missiles (NYT)

  • Iran is losing control of the Strait of Hormuz (CNN)

  • Houthi Threat to Red Sea Shipping Rises (WSJ)

  • Pentagon weighing smaller U.S. military presence in Gulf once Iran war ends (WP)

  • The Moscow region is hit by a drone blitz as Russian missiles kill 10 in a Ukrainian village (AP)

  • Russians pull billions from banks, fearing Kremlin will seize deposits for war (WP)

  • Russia summons Japanese envoy following Putin's visit to disputed islands (AP)

  • Preservationist group urges Supreme Court to keep White House ballroom paused (The Hill)

  • Data centers, crypto, and tax revisions take center stage in Tuesday primaries (CNBC)

  • White House Aide Natalie Harp Is at Center of Messy Brawl (WSJ)

  • What to know about Natalie Harp, the Trump aide whom Ossoff put in the spotlight (WP)

  • Trump’s Loose Grip on Reality Could Sink the Navy’s Ships (Nation)

  • U.S. delays 50% tariff on Canadian imports. (NPR)

  • US and Canada hold last-minute talks to stop Trump’s 50% tariffs (AP)

  • Tariffs on Hold as Trump Claims Deal With Canada Is Near (NYT)

  • National debt nears $40 trillion: How we got here and why it matters (PBS)

  • White House Seeks to Lift Ban on Development in National Forests (NYT)

  • Is big tech the new big tobacco? (Economist)

  • Vaccine exemption rate for kindergarteners reaches record high: CDC (ABC)

  • Nation’s Largest Reservoirs Are Drying Up, Threatening Life in the Southwest (NYT)

  • President Donald Trump’s approval rating fell to the lowest level of his presidency, with an overwhelming majority of Americans concerned the U.S. war with Iran will last a long time [Reuters]

  • Trump dwarfs his predecessors in the number of ultra-rich in his second White House, report shows (AP)

  • California A.G. Rejects $1.88 Billion Paramount Bond, Says Company Wants a ‘Do-Over’ on Merger Delay (Variety)

  • ABC sues FCC over challenge to its broadcast licenses, saying actions present ‘existential threat’ (AP)

  • ‘The Daily Show’ faces uncertain future under Paramount (Semafor)

  • White House attacks CNN reporter after Trump clash, invoking her children (WP)

  • I’m a Psychiatrist. I’m Hearing Something New From Young Women. (NYT)

  • The surprising ways reading fiction helps your brain (WP)

  • Nicotine pouches have emerged as one of Big Tobacco’s most important bets on a future beyond cigarettes, offering rapid growth, attractive margins and, for now, lighter regulation than many rival smoking alternatives. (Reuters)

  • Humans Love Having Pets. Seems Like Some Other Primates Do, Too. (NYT)

  • The 25 most promising robotics startups in 2026 (BI)

  • New data shows people are getting personal with AI (WP)

  • Pete Hegseth Orders Military Blockade Of Woman Attempting To Walk Away From Him (Onion)

 

No comments: