Friday, September 25, 2026

The Night Nurse

One hot, humid night in southern India many years ago, a night nurse lifted the mosquito netting around my bed and stepped inside, letting the net fall back into place behind her. She whispered, “Are you awake?”

I said yes. Her dark brown face was inches from mine. At first, all I could see were the whites of her eyes and teeth. I felt her breath falling softly against my skin, which was feverish and wet. She felt like a fresh breeze in the heavy tropical night.

As my eyes adjusted to the faint light in the room, I gradually became aware that she was patiently and systematically capturing the mosquitos flying around inside my netting one by one. This was a laborious process; often she would miss the insect on her first try but would persist until she succeeded. Whenever she caught one, she would carefully lift the net and allow it to fly off into the night.

I thought I might be dreaming or hallucinating — both of which occurred at that time in that place — but this was real. She kept at it until every last insect had been freed from threatening me, a pale six-foot-tall young man whose weight had plummeted down to 97 pounds as I was battling a combination of typhoid fever and salmonella.

During the weeks of our nightly meetings under the mosquito netting, I would look forward to her visits. And as I slowly recovered my strength, I got to know many of the day nurses who had brought me back from the near-dead. From them, I discovered the reason why the night nurse only worked at night.

She had suffered from a disfiguring case of smallpox as a child, resulting in a bad scarring of her face. 

By my last night in the hospital, I was no longer sweating my fluids away, so when she came to check on me her breath felt warm. “You will be going,” she whispered. “Good-bye.”

“Good-bye,” I whispered back. “I think you are the most beautiful nurse of all.”

HEADLINES:

  • CNN, MS NOW and Politico allowed back into the White House after judge orders Trump admin to restore access (CNN)

  • JD Vance Planted the Story That Sparked White House Media Ban (TNR)

  • The Deferential President (Atlantic)

  • GOP senators dismayed by Trump embrace of Xi after China helped Iran target US troops (The Hill)

  • Trump hosting China’s Xi at White House as they navigate AI, trade tensions and Taiwan (CBS)

  • The greatest advance in consulting since the quadrant (Economist)

  • Republican Sheriff Illegally Seized California Ballots, Court Rules (NYT)

  • Pete Buttigieg barnstorms for Democrats in midterms as he weighs 2028 run (WP)

  • The blue wave is mostly in red states. That’s a little weird. (Silver Bulletin)

  • Collins: White House backing down from NIH grant order (The Hill)

  • Mortgage Rates Hit 7% as Iran War Fallout Crushes a Weak Housing Market (NYT)

  • What’s Really Behind the Baby Bust? (New Yorker)

  • Trump’s push to acquire Greenland almost broke NATO. The winner of it all may be ... Greenland (AP)

  • Carney Lays Out His Vision for Breaking Canada’s Reliance on U.S. (NYT)

  • ParaBros Merger Settlement Sign-Off Delayed As Deal Foes Granted Hail Mary Move By Judge (Deadline)

  • L.A. Comes to Grips With a Studio Merger Many Didn’t Want (WSJ)

  • A judge dismissed Trump's lawsuit accusing The Des Moines Register and its former pollster J. Ann Selzer of misrepresenting the state of the 2024 presidential race, rejecting the president's claim that the newspaper's poll coverage violated Iowa's consumer fraud law. [AP]

  • I was in the room when Zuckerberg took an AI victory lap (BI)

  • In A.I. Race, U.S. Models Have the Edge, but China Has Other Advantages (NYT)

  • How an OpenAI ‘agent’ hacked Australia’s Medicare and what that means (Al Jazeera)

  • Amazon to Expand Robot-Making Capacity With New, $100-Million Indiana Hub (WSJ)

  • Why can’t we just keep rogue AIs off the internet? (Verge)

  • I Built AI Clones of My Coworkers. Things Got Weird (Wired)

  • Google Takes the A.I. Data Center Race to Outer Space (NYT)

  • “I think the answer is we have to shut the labs down” - Jensen Huang (Marcus)

  • Artificial-intelligence buildout is on track to require a larger share of US output than the rollout of electricity, railroads, interstate highways or the internet, a researcher said. The increasingly complicated financial structure to handle this comes with systemic risks. (Reuters)

  • The personal AI agent horror stories are rolling in (BI)

  • Dog Can’t Believe Guy She Hooked Up With 10 Years Ago Now Head Of FBI (Onion)

No comments: