The other day, I asked ChatGPT (the free version) if it could locate a copy of a letter from the White House to Rolling Stone magazine in 1976. I didn’t offer any other details.
The chatbot first went down a blind alley, speculating that the letter probably concerned Jack Ford, who was President Gerald' Ford’s son, and who joined the magazine as an assistant in 1977.
Since the letter I had asked about had nothing to do with Ford, I decided to drop the matter. I then asked the chatbot a series of unrelated questions I won’t bother recreating here. Finally I asked CatGPT to identify Rolling Stone’s greatest scoops, and then to identify the most important journalism scoops in U.S. history.
(I published the results of that query in The Scoop.)
Next I asked ChatGPT to identify the biggest stories produced by the Center for Investigative Reporting, the organization I co-founded after leaving Rolling Stone. It came back with a list of investigations all produced later, but none before the 1990s. Then it suggested this: “CIR's most historically significant work may not be its most famous work.”
I took the chatbot up on its offer to explain and it went on to reconstruct the Center’s early history. It then offered a new list of CIR’s all-time biggest stories.
***
1. Circle of Poison / Corporate Crime of the Century — 1978–81
2. Global Dumping Ground — 1986–90
3. American Rehab — 2018–20
4. Kept Out — 2017–18
5. The Disappeared — 2018–20
6. Behind the Smiles / Amazon — 2018–20
7. Nuclear Navy / nuclear-accident investigations — 1980s
8. Consumer-product testing / The Illusion of Safety — 1982
9. Rape on the Night Shift — 2015
10. After Ayotzinapa — 2021–22
***
Next, ChatGPT zeroed in on the top story, “Circle of Poison.”
***
1. The unlikely beginning: a packet of Kool-Aid in Afghanistan
The origin story is almost too perfect.
While serving in the Peace Corps in Afghanistan from 1969–71, Weir bought a packet of Kool-Aid in a Kabul bazaar. He noticed that it contained cyclamates, an artificial sweetener that had been banned by the FDA as a carcinogen. That raised a basic but profound question: How could something considered unsafe in America be sold in one of the poorest countries in the world?
Weir says that experience eventually led him to investigate a much broader phenomenon: products that were banned, restricted or heavily regulated in the United States were nevertheless being exported to poorer countries.
By the mid-1970s he had begun publishing what he called his “Export of Poison” reporting in Rolling Stone and through Pacific News Service.
2. “For Export Only” — the Rolling Stone breakthrough
The crucial Rolling Stone article was “For Export Only.”
It was a remarkable story for its time because it connected three things that were normally treated as separate:
American chemical regulation → exports to developing countries → American consumers.
The reporting showed that chemicals considered too dangerous for domestic use could nevertheless be sold abroad.
And this wasn’t simply an environmental story. It raised a fundamental question about whether American corporations and the U.S. government were effectively operating under two standards of safety.
Weir has recently recalled that the article was included in President Jimmy Carter’s weekly briefing on new policy issues. Carter subsequently created an interagency task force to examine the problem and eventually issued an executive order restricting the overseas trade in banned and restricted products.
***
At this point, it suddenly became clear that ChatGPT was still trying to solve the mystery of that White House letter I’d asked about way back in my first prompt. Here is how it came up again.
***
One especially promising next step would be to reconstruct the original “For Export Only” Rolling Stone story itself—its date, issue, reporting, sources, and the Carter White House response. That could also solve the 1976 White House letter to Rolling Stone you asked me about earlier, because Weir's recent account confirms that the Carter administration was specifically tracking his export-of-poison reporting.
How to find the original letter
I would pursue the archival trail in this order.
1. Jimmy Carter Presidential Library
2. White House records and policy files
3. David Weir’s personal papers and Rolling Stone files
***
What I found remarkable about all of this is that ChatGPT remembered my original query about the White House letter and connected the dots after sorting through many other piece of information and queries without my help. (I have only included a small portion here of the massive amount of communication involved.)
In the end, it identified the letter I was seeking.
Before this, I had doubts about the power of AI as a research tool. I no longer have those doubts.
HEADLINES:
Trump keeps trying to control California’s elections. The midterms will be another test (SFC)
Some 78% of Americans blame President Donald Trump’s policies for rising prices that are outpacing their earnings, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll that found majorities of Republicans and Democrats cite the cost of living as their top concern ahead of next month’s midterm elections. (Reuters)
Poll: Democrat Troy Jackson narrowly leads Susan Collins in Maine Senate race (WP)
Could Minnesota spoil the blue wave? (Silver Bulletin)
‘You’ve Hired Half the Third Reich’: 6 Key Moments From the Georgia Senate Debate (NYT)
El NiƱo’s storm-killer winds and climate’s warming waters in fight over future of Hurricane Isaias (AP)
Hurricane Isaias disrupts U.S. oil production in Gulf of Mexico, threatens refineries (CNBC)
Powerful 7.6-magnitude earthquake hits Panama and triggers tsunami warnings (Guardian)
Trump names commentator Katie Zacharia of his media company as next White House press secretary (AP)
F.B.I. Arrests Key Suspect in ShinyHunters Hack of Its Own Agents’ Data (NYT)
Vance, Rubio brush off questions about claim that Guilfoyle asked donor to pay $100K Amex bill (WP)
Trump establishes panel to probe Fed governor Lisa Cook in latest attempt to fire her (NBC)
Hegseth faces bipartisan backlash over public execution for Fort Hood shooter (Politico)
Hegseth Impeachment Gains Traction Among Democrats (Newser)
The Simple Truth Behind Jane Doe’s Story (Atlantic)
EU aviation body widens Saudi airspace warning after Houthi strikes (Reuters)
India calls JD Vance’s comments about immigrants ‘deeply offensive’ (CNBC)
Judge Extends Pause on Trump’s Ban Against CNN, MS NOW and Politico (NYT)
US imposes sanctions on ICC hours after former judge wins Nobel Peace Prize (Reuters)
Former U.N. human rights chief Navanethem "Navi" Pillay, a judge on the International Court of Justice, won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday in Oslo, Norway. Her win is sure to be seen as a high-profile rebuke to Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who have both rejected the findings of a U.N. commission she led that Israel committed genocide in Gaza. [AP]
US surpasses 4,000 measles cases with infections confirmed in 45 states: CDC (ABC)
Quantum Research Races Ahead (WSJ)
Meta bans TikTok ads on its platforms in US (Reuters)
Forget Tech. San Francisco Is Home to Great Movies. (NYT)
FBI Classifies Not Finishing Hamburger As Seditious Activity (Onion)
LATEST AI NEWS:
We must recall open-ended AI agents with internet access from the market, now (Marcus)
Trump decrees that anyone who uses the term Artificial Intelligence is now ‘The Enemy!’ (Independent)
‘Breathtaking,’ ‘Devastating’: Mathematics Reels After New OpenAI Release (NYT)
OpenAI doubles down on decision to fire three AI safety researchers (Verge)
Fired OpenAI safety researchers dispute misconduct claims, warn of chilling effect (TechCrunch)
Clinical Trial Indicates A.I. Chatbots Could Aid Urgent Care (NYT)
MUIC VIDEO:
Olivia Rodrigo - Full Episode | Live on Austin City Limits TV
No comments:
Post a Comment