Sunday, July 02, 2006

Report from nowhere

Today's recommended links on ongoing disasters:

From inside Gaza:
http://rafah.virtualactivism.net/news/todaymain.htm

From the Gulf Coast:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/07/01/forgotten/index.html

I am loving how I can find wireless environments anywhere. But there are those who say my current level of frenetic activity has elements of ADD and OCD, and that I am addicted to the network.

Okay, I agree. So, neuroscientists are apparently on the verge of identifying specific nodes of the brain where dopamine increases or decreases in response to the substance/behavior that feeds our addictions. For the 20 million plus alcoholics and drug and nicotine addicts in the U.S., this means there may be reflief in the form of a pill within 5-10 years.

Scientists are less sure about sex addicts. I figure if two sex addicts find each other, what others consider a pathology could turn into a pretty fun time for them at least.

Network addiction has been pathologized in the press since the rise of the web. I'm wondering about this question -- do oddly wired brains yield creative breakthroughs so often because they make connections the elude more conventional thinkers? Or, does a person holding his wilder instincts in check suddenly seem crazier to those around him when he unleashes them, albeit in an arguably addictive manner?

Are we more creative if we're crazy, or does creative work make us go crazy?

New chickens and eggs, new horses and carts, new tails and dogs. As for me, I am attracted to crazy people, especially one that is sweet and nutty.

No comments: