Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Countdown

Just four days until my daughter's wedding. Already, I'm experiencing wild emotional swings. I wish no one would take anything I say or do seriously at this point. Although not totally "out of control," I'm happy, sad, excited, nervous, anxious, calm -- the usual bundle of anticipatory feelings -- wash over me as if I a body surfer, yet the ocean is far away from here.

Instead, I am sitting quietly in a modernistic high-rise building on landfill near the Bay, in a place that used to be a water adventure park. Trying to remain calm and appear professional, when what I feel like is a little kid, wishing to wiggle like my grandson. Last night, giving in to this impulse, my friend and I danced wildly around my apartment for a while.

That helped a bit. But today, I've got to pretend to be a grown-up.

-30-

No comments: