Sunday, December 21, 2008

Cold and Wet is the Shortest Day of the Year

Winter Solstice, 2008.
Post #1,199

This blog has chronicled around 32 months now at the rate of 1+/day. It shows no signs of petering out any time soon, so here's today's report:

There's a large pork roast in the oven, a small, fresh new tree in the window, pumpkin pie on the counter, and a candle burning.

Most of my relatives are enduring fierce snowstorms this weekend. Here, we have cool temperatures (for us) and soft rains. I'm not really participating in any shopping frenzy this year. Money is tight, my jobs are demanding, and there is a division of responsibility over such matters.

My friend regrets that I do to enjoy shopping. She described a scene yesterday, at the downtown shops, with so many men patiently waiting and carrying bags while the women scoured the shelves for deals.

They were, she thought, like dogs. (She likes dogs.)

I'm a domestic Dad, but in different ways. After filling our kitchen with groceries, I savor cooking meal after meal for my large family, and the occasional friend who drops by as well. Much of this particular weekend my four youngest are here with me, including all three sons.

There was a popular TV show in my youth -- "My Three Sons." I always fantasized being in that position; little did I know I also could produce a show about "My Three Daughters;" and by late summer, it now comes to be, I can produce yet another show called "My Three Grandchildren!"

Yep another little descendant is on his or her way up in Portland town!

Meanwhile, way up in Traverse City, my dear niece Kristin is about to deliver her second child sometime this winter.

'Tis the season to be frugal. This year's tree is a mini-tree, which costs a quarter of last year's. Given the state of our economy, and my personal feeling of zero security at work, it only seemed appropriate to keep as much change in our collective pocket as possible.

I will be legally single any day now, either late this year, or early next year. Then, Act Three can officially get under way...

-30-

No comments: