Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Goodbye Summer, Hello End of Summer

This blog is becoming the only real outlet left for my writing as I have assumed my new position at KQED. (I shared that news at Facebook and LinkedIn today.) It is a whirlwind week on the work front but what is on my mind is what is going on with my kids as a result of me now working full-time.

Summer is almost over for my teens. The two who are still in high school will be back in classes within two weeks from now. They are *not* thrilled by the prospect, naturally, although I suspect Julia is excited/scared/ready to get to that next level in life.

Dylan will be a senior at Lowell and he is already at work on his college essays. Like all younger siblings, he knows he will not get the same type of parental supervision/support/involvement in his transition as Aidan got last year.

It just never works that way.

Julia still does not know which school she will attend but it appears likely it will be Gateway, a charter school in the Western Addition -- just blocks away from the spot where I first landed when I migrated here 42 years ago, to help launch SunDance magazine.

Does anyone remember that?

-30-

No comments: