Sunday, July 26, 2026

Daily Slice

“I just know there’s a hole in my life and I’ve got to fill it — soon.” -- Ben Whittaker (Age: 70, “The Intern”)

______

One editor who looked over my draft memoir back when I was still writing it told me maybe it should be called “Slices,” because my entire career/life seems to have occurred haphazardly in multiple pieces. It was hard for him to see a pattern.

That sounds about right to me. Furthermore, I suspect that I am not the only person who has tried to make sense of his life only to discover that the main theme seems to be change.

But what I’m left with in the present moment is the next slice of life, whatever that yields. At least now I’m relatively free of baggage, literally and figuratively. And after many pieces of my previous self have been sliced away, others remain for the cutting board of the future.

Or the recycling bin, take your pick.

I’m not required to be any specific place. I have no job or professional obligation; I own next to nothing and I owe next to nothing; and I am not anyone’s emotional property, as far as I can tell. 

In other words, I am pretty close to a free agent. You can say that means I’ve got nothing left to lose, and you may be right, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I have nothing left to give.

Which I hope is what matters.

These days I am volunteering for several organizations I believe in, and publishing this newsletter.

The fact is I don’t know what I’m seeking but like Ben Whittaker, I know there’s a hole in my life that needs filling.

Thus these posts.

(This essay is completely rewritten and updated from the first version five years ago.)

HEADLINES:

 

No comments: