Friday, September 18, 2026

Storytellers

Of all the courses I taught over a long teaching career, only one was explicitly about writing.

All of the others focused on journalism methodology — how to gather information and validate, organize and defend it once published.

But there is another component to the whole process and that is how to tell a story once it’s in your hands. Partly in reaction to receiving too many poorly-told story drafts, I incorporated “how to investigate the story” into my teaching curriculum..

The problem was and is that students (and most everybody else) gets too caught up in the twists and turns of a reasonably complicated story to stay in control of the narrative. They just surrender and let the details take over.

To counter this we studied pace, rhythm, structure, character development and transitions. We talked about beginnings and endings. If I were to teach a course on story-telling today we would read short stories by writers like Chekov and listen to songs by Dolly Pardon and watch movies like Casablanca.

Some people seem to be natural story-tellers but the rest of us can learn to be better through hard work and practice. 

So that’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

HEADLINES:

No comments: