Over the past week, the links to AI stories in my daily headlines have gone from the bottom of the list to the top.
Why?
Because we’ve reached that moment when we all have to know this stuff. I’ve focused a lot of attention on Plan A from the AI Futures Project because I think it is a reasonable scenario for the steps forward we should take as a species to survive extinction at the hands of super intelligent AI.
I can hardly believe I just wrote “survive extinction” but I had to.
And yet I remain optimistic humanity can get through this.
Why?
Because there are more good people in the world than bad people — perhaps only by a whisker — and the good people should prevail.
At present that is happening. All sorts of good people inside the AI industry are calling on the rest of us to help them slow down the existential threat of runaway AI.
What can we do?
One easy option is to read the plan. Another is to skip the plan and just support the nonprofit doing this work. Or call your representative in the House of Representatives or the Senate and urge them to get to work on AI.
HEADLINES:
OpenAI Discloses Six New Incidents of ‘Concerning’ A.I. Behavior (NYT)
Zuckerberg distances Meta from calls for a coordinated approach on an AI slowdown (AP)
Sam Altman says trust me; Jensen Huang says everything is going to be fine; Bernie Sanders says AI is more dangerous than nukes (Marcus on AI)
Are We All Doomed? (New Yorker)
The Liftoff Scenario That Terrifies A.I. Doomsayers (NYT)
OpenAI's rogue agents probed Hugging Face for weaknesses two months before its major hack (Reuters)
Americans are increasingly concerned about the environmental impact of AI (AP)
How A.I. Risks Are Splitting Silicon Valley and Washington (NYT)
Carney says Canada will decide its own partnerships after Trump calls EU proposal ‘laughable’ (CNBC)
Battle with Trump is sending Canada into the arms of the E.U. (WP)
Trump’s frustration hits a boiling point with loss after loss (CNN)
Trump Administration Moves to Gut a Core Endangered Species Protection (NYT)
Iowa Republicans in battleground House races vote to halt Trump's ability to continue the Iran war (AP)
GOP candidates are largely ignoring Trump’s midterm advice, Post analysis shows (WP)
Fed Raises Interest Rates in Push for ‘Timelier’ Retreat in Inflation (NYT)
Kennedy Center closes as Trump threatens to stop repairs over naming fight (WP)
UN-backed experts cite possible US war crimes in Iran strikes (AP)
A Saudi coalition says a Houthi drone was destroyed near Mecca (Reuters)
Russian drone strike on a passenger bus in Ukraine kills 5 people and wounds at least 7 others (AP)
Saudi Arabia Faces ‘Worst-Case Scenario’ After Being Rebuffed by Trump (NYT)
Former Kosovo President Hashim Thaci was found guilty of war crimes by the Kosovo war crimes tribunal. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison for crimes including murder, torture and illegal detention. (Reuters)
Amazon’s next move could reshape how America shops — all over again (BI)
What the Sydney Sweeney nudity controversy is really about (WP)
Is There Anything a Fruit Fly Brain Can’t Do? Models of the insect’s nervous system have been trained to solve a Rubik’s Cube, play video games and even parallel park a car. (NYT)
Congress Passes $430,000/Hour Minimum Wage For Billionaires (Onion)
No comments:
Post a Comment