Friday, November 17, 2006

Logic v. Intuition

There's a war raging around us, and I'm one who's caught in the crossfire. Modern society is being transformed by technology; principally, Information Technology (IT). That this is only the first of several large waves of transformative forces is apparent from the strides made in biotechnology, stem cell research, nanotechnology, and advances in neuroscience.

As people in my line of business try to organize themselves according to the dictates of IT, their main decision-making tool is logic. This makes a lot of sense, because logical thinking is the closest humans can come to alligning ourselves with computers. Writing code to create the software that is driving all the product innovations via the Internet requires achieving a state of logical reasoning.

You gotta think like a computer before you can program one.

Trouble is, human beings are not inherently logical creatures, nor do we make logical choices all of the time. Rather, we are emotional beings, and our feelings compete with our intellect and our physical urges to complicate any task we take on. Today I witnessed one more tragedy in the war between logic and emotional intelligence. For people who are made of stuff that sits at opposite ends of the Empathy Spectrum, misunderstandings are inevitable.

It may make logical sense but not emotional sense. When you listen to your intuition, all sorts of weird thoughts fly through your brain.You start free associating, clueless why these images suddenly appear to you: Mobile, Alabama. Oysters, writing about Biloxi on a hotel bed.

A distasteful (to me) neckless, because I knew who she'd gotten it from; but precious to her, had gone flying when we were making love on that bed. Next morning, she couldn't find it, and said "oh well." I had a visual memory of its arc when she'd cast it off. I went over and found the thing, to me a despicable symbol of a mistake she'd made. It was wedged down between a desk and the wall in a place that might never would have been found for months.

I pulled it out and gave it back to her.

Mobile, Alabama. That's my memory, about a year ago now. Why tonight? It is what I have come to think of as intuitive messages sent through the air to me, weirdly, psychic almost. These thoughts scare me, because they almost always have some basis in fact, tough I rarely ever find it out until years later, and then, only by chance.

Sweet dreams, everyone, wherever you may be laying yourself to sleep.

Only a few days until I leave the first of what I hope will be several long holiday trips myself! Can't wait to escape from the Valley of Logic, for a break, to places where I'll be surrounded by love and intuition. It's always nice to leave the coast.

p.s. My grandmother was psychic.

-30-

No comments: