Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year

I was thinking of my father today, and my mother. The last time we were together on January 1st was the last time we ever would be all alive together. Our tradition was to watch the Michigan football team's bowl games together, and that is exactly what we did on January 1, 1999. nine years ago. Dad died a couple nights later. But Michigan won that day, a come-from-behind victory over Arkansas.

Today, five years after my Mom died, I watched Michigan play in a bowl game alone. It was perhaps the most exciting game I've ever watched. Michigan came from behind to beat Florida, 41-35. Florida's Heisman-Trophy winning quarterback couldn't compete with Michigan's Chad Henne, who passed for 373 yards.

Michigan's offense generated well over 500 yards and held Florida to more than 100 less. It was a pretty sight.

-30-

No comments: