Monday, January 07, 2008

Monday, Monday*



See the moss growing? It never happens to a Rolling Stone, or to a Free Bird, for that matter. But if you happen to be a tree, framed in brick here in San Francisco, this is the time that moss will visit your rootss, after the big storms that have rattled our city recently.



I have gathered a lot of bird's nests in my life. They are lovely miracles to me, the homes stitched out of whatever materials Mom and Dad bird can find to cradle their precious unborn children inside the eggs she lays.

But never before have I discovered what I found today in our backyard -- a nest carefully spun around an inner layer of plastic! Could this be an evolutionary leap by birds? Since we throw away so much plastic, perhaps the more entrepreneurial birds are recognizing an opportunity here?



My little boys played in their team basketball games tonight. Alas, both lost badly (32-7 and 24-10.) Yet, both guys acquitted themselves well, and they clearly enjoy the camaraderie of being part of a team. For me, there are few things I like better than watching my kids play sports.

Therefore, the biggest news in my world tonight is that my youngest daughter has decided to learn how to play basketball!

Yay!

The second-biggest headline hereabouts is somewhat sadder news: The IAASTD plenary in Nairobi on agricultural sustainability and food trade security, which was supposed to begin later this week, has been postponed, due to the ongoing violence in Kenya.

Therefore, dear reader, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, so we'll have to make due with these messages from home base, deep in the Mission District of San Francisco...

-30-

* with apologies, of course, to the Mamas and Papas. Today's soundtrack, however, was Surrender by Cheap Trick:

Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird.
Surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away...", etc.

No comments: