Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Reactions & Clarifications to Mis-State of the Onion

David,

“Thou art a votary to fond desire”... Shakespeare, about 500 years ago.

“Emotion on the sleeve advertises distortion of fact”... Dan, about 15 minutes ago.

Distorted fact can be humorous, and often is – just not when so plainly wrapped in vitriol.

Of course, if venting made it feel better, I suppose there's value in that.

Dan

7:52 AM




Blogger David Weir answered...

Actually, I'm rather fond of W; at least he's consistent (unlike the Clintons!) We do disagree on policy most of the time, but I bear him no animus. (You oughta see what I write when I hate someone.)

All of the disparaging personal information, BTW, is based on material in our files during the 2000 election cycle when I was D.C. Bureau Chief for Salon. None of it is made up. And there's far more evidence of these personal quirks and orientations than there ever was for Hussein's WMD's!

As far as W's personal ethics, I have absolutely no reason to think he is anything but an honest, decent man. He just makes a terrible President; though quite probably (again, unlike the Clintons) he's quite a nice person.

As I've previously reported, both George Bush and Dick Cheney are very generous philanthropists; giving away a much higher percentage of their annual income than all but a tiny slice of American citizens.

It's not enough to write this off to their wealth; plenty of Americans are richer (many of them Democrats) but few give away anywhere near as much of their wealth.

Perhaps this information can slightly counter-act the notion that I insanely hate Bush. I don't; my impression of him is nuanced and analytical. Last night's parody was simply another of my many experiments in writing style.

Nothing ventured; nothing gained.

10:08 AM

No comments: